Thursday, January 17, 2008

You Don't See Me

Last night, while I was out, one of my buddies said to me:

"It's awesome how you can be completely comfortable standing in the middle of a group, with everyone's attention on you. You entertain and it doesn't faze you."

I guess. I hadn't noticed until that moment.

Truth be told, while it's true that I'm often the loud-mouthed group conversationalist, a lot of my time is spent as a watcher.

I stand on the sidelines and just observe people.

It's amazing what you can learn about a person by just paying attention, even if they're complete strangers.

I watch the couple in the corner, and wonder if the girl has any clue that her boyfriend is ass-over-teakettle in love with her, while he seems to solely be a passing fancy in her mind.

I watch the group of frat boys, sharing tales of sexual exploits and bar brawls. The guy in the hat isn't comfortable with the conversation, and nervously fidgets. His eyes dart away from his 'friends' as though searching for a way out.

I watch my own friends. And sometimes that's the worst.

I see my girl grasping at a failing relationship with a guy who so obviously only wants to be her friend.

I see my other friend making a desperate play for another friend's man.

I see a good buddy look heart-achingly sad and try to mask it with bravado and fake cheer. Should I tell him that I've been there, that I KNOW?

No.

That's the thing about being the observer.


You can't talk about it; you can only watch.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Kris;

I just came across your blog by chance today. I do not have a blog but I read more of them than I should.

Perhaps I should have emailed you instead of commenting. I don't really know, I just wanted to tell you a few key things.

First of all, you are a beautiful woman. Striking and haunting at once. I suppose that should not be my first point but I am only a man who enjoys beauty.

Secondly, you have a sadness that comes through in each posting. I have read them all and there are glimpses of happiness but mostly a general melancholia. It is a disheartening thing.

Third. I thoroughly enjoy the way you write, and your way of putting things into words. I see that you are a writer and I would like to read more. Where can I find it?

My apologies for the long comment. I am just a fan.

Steve

Kris10 said...

Thanks for the comment, Steve.

I'm not entirely sure how to reply, you touched on a few different subjects up there. We'll just stick to "thanks". :)

As for reading further writing projects, it depends what you want to read. I'm not proud of the majority of my work; the things I work on now are mostly business profiles and magazine articles.

Maybe shoot me an e-mail and I'll see if I have anything suitable.

miked said...

Kristen has faaaaaans.

Do you kiss your fans, chick?

Cause then you would have even more.

I can be your pimp - I mean publicist.

sj said...

...thats me in the corner....thats me in the spotlight, losing my religion...

but look at that smirk, losing your religion in a Hotel room is more fun then most people give it credit for being.

Kris10 said...

Yeah, you're a smirky one. I know what that smirk means. And I dunno if it's quite religious, but God surely came up a few times. "Hell" did, too.

And Mike... be nice. Or else i'm gonna start posting our old MSN conversations and RUIN you, Mr. Emotional. Ooohhhh, them's fightin' words.

ghetto.punk.chick said...

Is it bad that this one made me cry a little? Cuz it did.

Kris10 said...

Why did it make you cry??? It's not supposed to make anyone cry...

:(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...