Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Paint A Picture Of The Days Gone By


It's well-documented and well-known that I have a hard time getting rid of anything. Ever.

To some people it's amusing, others it's annoying - I don't blame em.

Some items I keep just for the sake of keeping. The old "you never know when you might need this" rings true for me. Other things I can't bring myself to give up because they have some kind of meaning to me; they serve as a reminder of a person, place, or thing that I want to remember.

Lately I've been forcing myself to let go a bit, and realize that some of these things are indeed just "things". They have no real purpose for me any longer, and should have no place cluttering up my life.

But in some ways, I will not budge. Not even an inch. Because aside from clutter, I also keep a lifetime of photos, message histories, and old e-mails. It may sound crazy, but yesterday I was reminded of why I do it.

Old pictures show you your life. Who has been there, and who didn't last. Random times that you smiled even when you might not have wanted to. How you have changed, and maybe how you haven't.

So I keep them.

E-mails and messages from vital people in my life, for me, can go deeper. It's no different than keeping letters from a lover or close friend. Reading over some yesterday, I found that they have the power to make me cry, laugh, and fall in love all over again.

And that's a feeling I refuse to get rid of.

2 comments:

M.V.P. said...

Nice, Kris.

Kris said...

I try, Matty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...