Monday, July 28, 2008

If You're Somewhere Drunk & Passed Out on the Floor...



"Joey" by concrete Blonde has always been one of my favourite songs. It's so completely different from my usual metal or classic rock tunes, but it far surpasses most of them in terms of importance to me.

I fell in love with it at a young age - I would sing it while out on my swing, or in front of the mirror in my bedroom. I didn't quite understand what the song was about, even though I knew every single lyric.

Growing up, it began to make sense. And then practically living it drove the meaning home.

It's about a woman whose other half is an alcoholic lout. He spends all of their money on booze, whatever substance suits his need each night, and paying off gambling debts (I assume). He's the kind of guy a woman shouldn't bother to love, and yet... well, we've all heard the stories:

"Joey, baby - dont get crazy
Detours. fences... I get defensive
I know youve heard it all before
So I dont say it anymore
I just stand by and watch you
Fight your secret war.
Although I used to wonder why -
I used to cry till I was dry.
Still sometimes I get a strange pain inside
Oh, joey, if youre hurting so am I."

She's fully aware of his major flaws, it kills her and she knows she should leave him. But she thinks she can somehow help him; that he'll somehow change. Delusions that, in most cases, are a waste of time and pain:

"Joey, Honey
I got the money
All is forgiven.
Listen, listen."

"And if I seem to be confused,
I didn't mean to be with you.
And when you said I scared you,
Well, I guess you scared me too.
But if it's love you're looking for,
Then I can give a little more.
And if you're somewhere drunk and
passed out on the floor.
Oh Joey, I'm not angry anymore."

A past relationship made this song real for me.

Although the meaning is more than clear now and I can no longer be naive about the storyline, I still love the song. For the adult who went through the emotional rollercoasters and heartache, and for the little girl singing into a hairbrush in front of her mirror.

12 comments:

Spelunker the Burping Red ant! said...

worth commenting on this one is.

blepharisma said...

I sing this to Joey all the time, except he's not a drunken lout (most of the time).

Kris said...

Heh. Yes, but that's cuz he's a REAL Joey.

And spelunker... wasn't much of a comment, sir.

Ange said...

Hey;

I've been reading your blog for a little while but I'm not the commenting type usually. I had to this time though because the last line you wrote made me cry.

Ange

Kris said...

Didn't mean to, Ange. But thanks for the comment!

Joey said...

I'm sorry I'm a drunk.

Kris said...

Quoi?

Uh. Ok. You're forgiven....?

Kris said...

What the shit? Where'd it go?

RasaMi said...

ya...amm...what am I reading here?

Kris said...

It somehow erased. Disappeared. I'll try to get it back.

RasaMi said...

I just read this...

definitely worth the wait.

While I can't comment on the whole "drunk" aspect of it, I can relate to the notion of "fixing" someone.

I've been meaning to write about that, so I'll take this as a sign and get on it.

One of my favorite posts so far =)

btw, if we don't chill today (technically it's today), we better do it soon, cause summer is almost over and I need to get my drink/gossip on! lol

Kris said...

:)

You're the best. Can't wait to read your post about that.

I thought tomorrow was the night? Today is Friday!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...