Friday, July 18, 2008

Who Knew?

I am a pessimist.

Negative, jaded, and doubting. I've lost faith in most things, especially in the belief that good people still exist. I'm fairly certain that the world is a self-centered, narcissistic place where most of the inhabitants do not genuinely care about the well being of others.

But I've learned that there are exceptions.

Yesterday, on the way back to Toronto from St. Catharines, my car died. Stalled, stopped, died - whatever. Wasn't moving. I was stuck on the side of the QEW, pretty much smack in the middle of my two homes. I called my Dad for help, cuz that's my knee-jerk reaction.

While talking to him, a lady stopped behind me and offered help. She stayed as I figured out what to do, and gave any advice she could. She said she didn't want to leave me alone there, in case someone came by and tried to steal me.

Once my car could start and my Dad convinced me to come back to St. Cath, the lady got in her car and literally STOPPED three lanes of traffic for me so I could get over to the exit that was right in front of me. She followed me off the highway and pointed to the on-ramp to take me back home.

I regret now that I didn't get her name, I only know she is from Milton. She helped a complete stranger just because she wanted to. She said she does it all the time.

Thank you, whoever you are.

You made this negative girl see that some people really are just intrinsically good.

I truly hope your good deeds are given back to you ten-fold.

4 comments:

Mike D. said...

Your car ok?

Kris said...

I think so. I drove it back to Toronto last night.

blepharisma said...

Yikes!! Poor little Twurpspen :(
You must have freaked out. I would have.

Did you try to karate chop the lady when she came up to you? I would have done that, too. I don't trust strangers of any variety.

Kris said...

Kinda. Freaked out and called Dad. What else?

And yeah, at first I was gonna kick her in the balls. But then I realized that she had no balls, and was actually very nice. Cool chick, too. Probably around Craig's age.

I don't trust strangers either. Or people i know, for that matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...