Friday, September 5, 2008

You Were A Vampire, & Baby I'm The Walking Dead

Have you ever screamed yourself awake?

It used to be a rare occurrence for me; I'd be having a disturbing dream and start screaming in it. But then I wasn't only screaming in the dream, and could somehow hear myself actually screaming, while still fully in the dream. Eventually I wake up, well... screaming.

The actual noise coming from me is horrible, and completely non-human. The sound itself scares me out of the nightmare.

Lately, it's been happening more often. A sign of stress and confusion.

A couple of nights ago I had a dream that, for some reason, ended up with me alone in my dark kitchen singing loudly. Only I didn't want to be singing, and couldn't stop - I had no power over it. And my perception somehow split, so I knew I was singing in real life as well, and tried to force myself awake. I couldn't. Dream Kristen and Real Kristen kept on singing against their will. So eventually, I started screaming because I had no control and wanted out of the dream.

When I woke up, it was sudden and startling. The noises freak Craig out, but he knows where they come from.

Him holding me afterward helps a lot, but those dreams sure do mess up my head for awhile.

Are they normal?

8 comments:

Holly B. said...

Freaky. I don't get those, but I often get the falling dreams and wake myself up.

Kris said...

Yeah, I get the falling dream too. Not as much though.

PatZ said...

what were you singing?

ghetto.punk.chic said...

Screaming = normal. Singing = weird. I would much prefer singing dreams to screaming dreams though...

Could be worse...I had a dream where I had to pee this morning & had to wake up & run to the bathroom cuz I was about to pee myself. Thank god I was still in the pre-pee stages or I would have peed TJ's bed. heh.

And now the internet knows about how I almost peed the bed this morning. Maybe I shouldn't tell people these things...

Kris said...

It wasn't an actual song, I don't think. It almost like humming. Except that in real life, it was a godawful animal noise that I couldn't help myself from doing.

Craig said it was like demonic laughing. The singing freaked me out more than the screaming.

Leah... go pee. I think you have to. TJ likes a dry bed.

Wil said...

I have been doing something like that a lot lately my own damn self. I will wake myself up saying complete sentences and bits of conversation. Frickin' weird.

The Trailer Of Love

Kris said...

It's creepy, eh?

Leah said...

I (suffer from) really vivid dreams and often wake up in the middle of the night screaming or crying or both. Sometimes they are awesome, wonderful dreams and sometimes they are hellish and once I needed to seek counselling for as series of awful dreams. I think they are more normal for people who are a.) really in touch with their emotions/feelings or b.) really expressive. Perhaps you fall into one or both of the above categories?
As for you singing dream - it reminds me of the musical Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where they can't stop singing and dancing until they light on fire and die!!! The episode is called "Once More, With Feeling." You should watch it - it is possibly one of the best Buffy episodes ever.
Anyways, I found you on Canada blog Friends (they featured my blog a few weeks back!) and I love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...