Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Goatkeeper's Pie

Anyone who knows me (or reads this blog) knows I don't cook.

Before I moved to Toronto, the extent of my cooking ability was limited to boiling things and microwaving like a pro.

Times, they are a-changing. With a spatula in my hand and recipe in my brain, I attack the kitchen more than you'd think.

For those non-believers, I decided to take pictures last night to prove it. (Mom, Steph, random stranger I've never met - this means you.)

Everyone is familiar with Shepherd's Pie, right?

Well I more or less made that.

But with different ingredients. In other words, only crap I like best.

The only vegetables that go NEAR it are mushrooms.

I am not-so-secretly in love with my garlic press.

Garlic makes the ground beef, tomato paste and mushroom base BETTER.

I add cheese to everything, whenever possible, wherever there is room.

The mashed potatoes have sour cream in them.

And then, again, more damn cheese.

Somehow still not enough.

Never enough cheese.

Outta the oven - doesn't look that great.

But trust me, it's edible.

See Mom? It's not pasta or pizza pops.

Does this mean I'm all grow'ed up?

Shit. I hope not.

14 comments:

phx said...

oh YUM! there's never ever EVER enough cheese, especially cheddar! i'm going to have to try this recipe! :)

ghost said...

how do we know this wasnt cooked by the boy?

Kris said...

phx - I have a cheese addiction, and I doubt it's very healthy.

ghost - I wouldn't ever lie about food. And he probably wouldn't allow me to take pictures of food he makes and then write a post about it. I should try....

chimp said...

Hey K,

Remember when craig cooked for us in the summer and we almost died?

what was that again?

There wasn't any cheese involved...maybe that was the problem?

Kris said...

Hmm...

Was that the stove incident?

Or something else that I can't recall?

I just remember that we all decided that everything is better once you wrap it in bacon. I somehow left out cheese.

chimp said...

Yup....i brought over something for dinner and craig almost burnt it.

we had it anyway and somehow craig seemed pretty chuffed about it nonetheless.

strange, eh?

k said...

Now that does look good. But it's also one of those meals where you think to yourself.. **Is my heart actually slowing down as the blood moves more sluggishly thickened with all that fat....or is it my imagination**. Oh well. Hey, pass me another beer while you're up dude...

Kris said...

chimp - He didn't quite burn it, but he cooked it and made it a different type of dinner altogether...

K - Ooh, another K! Could be confusing.

Yeah, I don't deal well with low-fat foods. The occasional salad, maybe. But the cheese and ceasar dressing pretty much screw that one up.

PatZ said...

that makes me want to eat a burrito.

Kris said...

Dammit. Now I want a burrito too.

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms aren't vegetables.

Kris said...

No, it's fungus. But that's close enough for me.

Mike D. said...

Make me some. Mushrooms aren't veggies but everyone still considers em to be.

Kris said...

'Zactly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...