Thursday, February 19, 2009

Licensed To Chill, Winston



I've decided that I'm going to share a few things that I wrote for a music website last year. They're bound to be more interesting than my "woe is me" drivel of late.

I wrote tons of these, and they're supposed to be my "memories" that certain songs evoke. But honestly? Some are true. Some aren't. As I post them, you decide which is which.


Brass Balls

LOCATION: High School Gym, St. Catharines
YEAR: 2001
TAGS: basketball, gym, game, songs, Beastie Boys
PUBLISHED: February 22, 2008

My high school had a Teachers vs. Students basketball game planned, which was sure to be a good one since we had some talented players.

As the resident music junkie, I was asked to make a mixed CD for the game. So I did. As the game went on, my boyfriend and I sat in a small room off to the side which held the soundsystem, so I had full control of the music. When I wasn't switching songs, I'd watch the game in the doorway and laugh and how badly our teachers were getting schooled by my friends.

At one point when I was in the doorway, my friend Beckie was trying to get my attention from the stands, which were directly across from where I was standing. I couldn't figure out what she was trying to tell me, so I motioned for her to come down and see me.

She made her way down stands, and through the sea of people. She had to exit the gym through the door on her side, and come back in through the door on my side in order to avoid the game going on. It didn't work.

As soon as she stepped back into the gym and started coming towards me, the basketball went rogue.

SMACK!

Right to the head. Beckie was down for the count, sprawled on the court. The game stopped. Everything went still. No one made a sound. I signalled for a teacher, and then ran back into the sound room. I picked up the microphone and said "Can we please get a nurse down here, we have an injury". With that, I threw on Brass Monkey to distract the onlookers.

Beckie was fine. The game went on (students won, of course). And the injury was forgotten.

Except by Beckie. To this day, she cringes when she hears Brass Monkey. She didn't know the song before I played it, but she sure does now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is FAKE! I saw this on youtube.

Kris said...

You saw me on YouTube? Interesting.

ghost said...

i hate that song. but for much more sinister reasons.

i am a huge fan of the beastiesthough.

Kris said...

I'm intrigued by sinister reasons....

Mike D. said...

I think it's true. I know you had a friend named Beckie and good bball players at your high school.

Kris said...

Yeah. It's a half-truth.

Random said...

I read your stuff on the JB site awhile back. I think that's how I found you here and have been reading ever since. I remember this story.

Kris said...

Aw, cool. Haven't written on there in a long time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...