Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ich Bin Ein Auslander


This past weekend, I made a conscious effort to take a temporary break from my intense relationship with my couch.

Although sad, he understood. He's good like that.

On Friday night I met up with my dear Niagaran Doppelganger, Mike D.

We went to see Shutter Island. Beforehand, since I assumed it was a really scary movie, I had to explain how I'm a chickenshit and watch scary movies with my hands over my eyes. It wasn't so scary, but I did watch through squinted eyes here and there. Any scary or half scary crap involving kids freaks me out.

Hey! Scorcese! Leave the kids alone...

Over beers after, I may or may not have continually boasted about my musical knowledge. He may or may not have made fun of me. (Whatever Mike, I proved it!)

Onward...


The next night, a gathering of fun folks populated the Annex Wreck Room to see Bob spin.


I'd never been there before. Never really had a reason, I suppose. But the beer was cheaper than most places, Bob was playing tunes that made me happy, and Natural Born Killers was on the big screen.



These campers may not look happy, but they were. They were just trying to avoid eye contact with the show-off frat boys who were hovering nearby.

Hovering. Leering. Judging, with their collared shirts.




After a few bottles of liquified love (of the hops and barley variety), I somehow managed to make friends with some (young) fellow metalheads, take a spin on the ol' stripper pole (not so good, Al.), and lose a game of Fooseball to some random dudes who cheated.


Oh, the dancing. And the arm-waving. Two days later, my arms still somehow hurt.



This is what 5 o'clock in the morning looks like, when you're tired and sweaty and lookin' for Big Macs in all the wrong places.

So... you'll all be there on March 6th when Bob spins again? Lovely. I think I need a re-match w/ those frat boys.

19 comments:

TJ Detweiler said...

was there "spinsies" involved in this game of fooseball? or was that the cheating part?

Kaptn said...

Sounds like you had a good time you should be enjoying yourself, in the end, I think that what it is all about.

Any other good happening for you at the moment that you'll share?

ghetto.punk.chic said...

I totally forgot about that song until I read the title of your post. God, you always get me when I least expect it.

PatZ said...

no such thing as a Big Mac in the wrong place. it's always a good place for a Big Mac. and yes, I know I read that differently, but I'm not gonna rewrite this.

screetus said...

The Annex Wreck Room is where the Toronto Roller Derby League has its after-game parties. At some point I'll have to check it out.

ghost said...

you are not an outsider. you belong with us.

tony said...

Did you like Shutter Island?

I did.

Kris said...

TJ - The guy said "No spins", so we didn't get to spin. But then he tipped the table to win! Argh.

Kaptn - Nope, not much else. But thanks for the comment, you're always so very nice.

Chic - Og course I get you. And this time I got you with a little Pop Will Eat Itself.

PatZ - Well, the Big Macs were not in my living room, where I wanted them to be. So I was sad.

screetus - Yes! You should.

ghost - Aw. Thank you for saying I belong. "Auslander" is German for "other lander". ;)

Tony - I really liked certain parts of it. There were some things I think they could've cut out. I'm not a huge Leo fan (other than Basketball Diaries and Romeo and Juliet), but I do like Mark Ruffalo.

Keir said...

Wow, I just caught up on a months' worth of stuff. Glad all is well/better. Walk tall & kick ass.

Kris said...

Thanks Keir! It's been quite a month.

Aaron said...

Hmm. My 5 am doesn't look like your 5 am. Mine involved no shirt, possibly no pants, a Magic Bag draped over my shoulders and an ice pack on my forehead.

Kris said...

Your 5am sounds much better than mine. Especially if you added Big Macs. Multiple Big Macs!!!!

Kaptn said...

Pay it forward. It will make life a little better for everyone.

Mike D. said...

You look good. Are you happier now?

Kris said...

I'm trying my best.

Born with a big mouth! said...

I am glad you went out!! looks like you had fun!

Kris said...

Yeah, I used to go out too much. Then I didnt go out much at all. Perhaps it's time that I found a good balance.

ghost said...

yeah, my german is rusty but it's also used for outsider.

Kris said...

Is it? My bad!

Well, that works too. I often do feel that way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...