Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I've Seen The Future & I've Left It Behind

Near the end of January, when things went bad, I made myself stop listening to music.

No music on the way to work.
No music on the way home.
No music while cooking dinner or cleaning the house.
No music. At all.

I simply did not want to hear sad songs that would set me off, or turn the tunes I loved into reminders of how I felt at that point.

For those of you who really know me, that's kinda a big deal.
But I knew it was best for me. Been there.

Eventually I broke out the headphones again.
Turned on the stereo and danced around my living room.
Mashed potatoes to a crazy drum beat.
Screamed off-key over the sound of the big green vacuum.

Baby, I was back.

And since I've been here in St. Catharines again?

I've jumped back in time to the days when everything was better if it was heavier or louder.
Going through all my old cds and all the MP3's on my neglected computer made me remember some of my old favourite stuff.

Like Sabbath:




And always, older Deftones:



And I was going to post some Nine Inch Nails... but instead, in light of Peter Steele's recent passing... A little gothtastic Type O' Negative tribute:



I'm still eclectic like usual.
I'm just remembering how much I friggin' love all music.

And I promise to never, ever forget again.

22 comments:

Shaz said...

"Big Green Vacuum" will be the name of my first album.

Kris said...

Can I sing backup and play my potato mashing instrument?

Kaptn said...

Checked in for an update today, finally see things coming around for you. It's like a seed sprouting just below the surface. What happens next will be exciting. Just keep plugging along, that headache you have will go away.

...and keep the tunes going. Stevie Wonder sees better than most of us;)

Kris said...

Thanks, Kaptn. :)

andrew said...

Yeah certainly never forget how great music is! If only I knew how to play a potato mashing instrument :(

Krista said...

I always turn off the tunes when I'm bummed too, so weird. I couldn't listen to 80s music for along time after me and my ex broke up and now that it's been years, I can finally hear Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and only cringe cause it's god awful.

Kris said...

Hahaha.... that's pretty funny. But I'm glad I'm not the only only one who does this!

Born with a big mouth! said...

AGREED on the no sad songs. GAG!! right now i listen to a lot of Paramore. The lead singer is female and some of her songs are very full of ...power, maybe?

'Ignorance'
'Decode'
'That's what you get'

are 3 of my favorite songs. You can listen to them on Lala.com for free too. the last song I listed is my favorite!!!

good for you for turning the music back on, it can be great therapy!!

Kris said...

I'll definitely check em out... my cousin really likes Paramore, so there's a chance I may know these ones. Ya never know!

Kris said...

Andrew - I can teach you. But it works best when you have lots of aggression. Rawwwr!

TJ Detweiler said...

I saw Cake last night and they did a wicked cover of War Pigs by Sabbath, it was epic. True Story

Gage said...

yes you can't let the boys take your music away, that area is always sacred!

Kris said...

TJ - I looove War Pigs. I'd like to hear Cake's version. Do you like Faith No More's cover?

Gage - Ah, I took it away myself. It was a temporary break, music will always be the love of my life. :p

Mike D. said...

I actually don't believe that you ever stopped listening to music. If thats true then you sure have changed. That Deftones song was pretty good. Happy?

Kris said...

I haven't changed. Maybe I'm just all grows up.

But yes, I stopped listening for awhile. And you SHOULD like the Deftones song.

Leah said...

You definitely know "That's What You Get".

Born With A Big Mouth - Check out Flyleaf. Like Paramore, but even awesome-er in my opinion.

Kris said...

Awesome-er... that's a pretty big compliment.

TJ Detweiler said...

I have not heard their version but I am totally going to check it out right now.

Kris said...

FNM is one of my favourite bands ever.

TJ Detweiler said...

Yup that's a good call, totally just youtubed it and it's a sweet version. I haven't listened to FNM in a long time, this will make me get right back into them.

andrew said...

Haha - well i'll have to work on that then. Maybe i'll stick to the spoons or something.

Kris said...

Woo hoo!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...