Saturday, December 11, 2010

I've Got More Troubles Than A Diamond's Got Shine

If you read my last post, you know that I dubbed 2010 "The Year of the Suck". More nasty things have happened in the past 12 months than I could possibly list in a blog post, so it seems aptly titled.

It has sucked.

But in the comments, Jetson Stamina decided to call me out and throw a challenge at me:

Just for shits and giggles, I challenge you to write a post about 2010 being the "Year Of The AwesomeTastic" A non-sarcastic argument for why you think 2010 kicked some dirty ass. - Jetson Stamina

Challenge accepted. Sorta.

A post about this year being "awesometastic" (thanks for using my word, JS) should really only be a sentence long. But I'll try my best to stretch this mofo out, and list all the slightly almost good things that happened this year. Let's see how this goes.


1. Daisy. My favourite thing ever. The year started badly for her when her Daddy moved out and then her best friend Jack did, too. Then moving from her familiar spot in Toronto to my hometown of St. Catharines was tough. She got over it, though. More people to love her daily, a big backyard to run in, long walks by the lake? Yeah. She may miss Jack, but 2010 has been ok for my girl.

2.  I had to quit the job I loved and move outta the city, but that meant moving in with my parents. Doing this allowed me to save a bit of money and pay off some of the major debt that resulted over the hard years that the ex and I had. Most importantly, I was finally able to get Daisy fixed. $600 later, I was poor again. Worth it.


3. I had a great 27th birthday. No drama, tears or asshole behaviour. Lots of amazing friends. Much needed and much appreciated.


4. Spending Saturdays at Mansion House with my old Booze Crew. Also living a couple of blocks away from Miss Leah again. Car rides, singalongs, having someone to bitch to. Family being around. These are good things.


5. I was able to distance myself from some negative situations and take some time to reflect on the past few years. The conclusions I came to weren't necessarily good ones, or ones that I wanted, but sometimes painful things need to happen in order to figure yourself out. I also finally took the time to see a counselor for awhile when I felt like I couldn't handle my own thoughts anymore. Added to that, I managed to stay single for once in my life instead of throwing myself headfirst into another love, or even falling back on a past one.

While I've been very unhappy and repeatedly hurt or forced to deal with what seems like the worst luck ever, I suppose it all needed to happen. I don't know why yet, but someday it'll all make sense.

So there ya go, Jetson Stamina. A somewhat "awesometastic" list for 2010. It doesn't compare to the "shit-tastic" list (that would be 5 to 1,000,000), but it'll have to do.

Challenge completed. 



21 comments:

Masuka said...

Left out of the blog again ... :)

Kris said...

Again???

You get your own segment in the vlogs, complete with theme song and intro.... and in my last post, I quoted you and called you wise.

Left out, my ass! :)

Masuka said...

Ya I know.. But I couldn't think of anything else to comment on :)

Mike D. said...

#5 is a pretty mature response. I applaud it, even if it isn't a really happy one.

Kris said...

Masuka - Bah!

Mike - Thanks. No, it isn't overly happy... but it's honest, if nothing else.

Jack said...

Fuck 2010.

Another 'positive' you could mention would be December 31st.

Despite the fact it hasn't happened yet...it'll be the day you kiss 2010 goodbye.

Forever.

If you're even conscious at midnight, that is.

Kris said...

I try not to use my psychic powers too much, so I didn't wanna list that.

But you're right. This is one year that I'll be more than happy to kiss goodbye.

blepharisma said...

Pick me, pick me!! (Waves hand)
I have one for ya...

You became Veronica!

Kris said...

That's true. Even though all my life I was rooting for Betty.

I recently threw out the "Lodge Bucks" I made. It was kinda sad. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I have number six for you. "I am really fucking cool and hot and I'm smart as hell, too. No stupid year can take that away from me." Eh????

Kris said...

Stupid years can take lotsa stuff away. For example, I can't find my favourite shirt. Hey 2010 - where did you put my favourite shirt?!?!?!?!

Also... thanks, anon. ;)

RealSuperKeith said...

:) Played a bit part in #3 - something I'm glad to have attended. That one photo that was taken of you, KD, SM, MM and myself is one of the best group shots I've ever been in - sums up the good times and totally good vibes of that night! Looking forward to a great 2011 for you!

Anonymous said...

I bet the favourite shirt was a band one. Am I right?

Jetson Stamina said...

Hmmm... people don't generally take me up on my challenges mostly because said people know I'm not well. It's the equivalent to you having a deep discussion with that weird guy on the bus who doesn't seem to have a specific destination and might need a bath.

I present to you a ^5.

^5 = High Five

I don't give out the ^5 very often. The last time was for someone who referenced Spatula City. The time before that was when a homeless man told a rich guy getting out of his Ferrari that he liked his Fiero. ^5 Homeless Guy!

Today I bestow the five-finger-top-shelf to you, for attempting to see the better side of things.

(Not to be confused with the three-finger-bottom-shelf which is illegal in New Brunswick.)

Your attempt at positivity makes me want to Fabreze the ladies Bathroom after my crapgasm on Friday, even though Colleen is still a fuck up. Seriously Colleen, it's the same copier we've had since 2002. Paper goes in face down!

Thanks for taking me up on my challenge.

Your song for the day is:

Can't Get It Right Today
by Joe Purdy

Kris said...

Keith - Agreed, that picture definitely captures the great vibe that evening. Wish I could bottle that :)

Anon - Nope. I lied.

JS - Merci! And no three-fingered-bottom-shelf for YOU. Tell Colleen to come see me, I'll set her straight. For realz.

ghetto.punk.chic said...

I love you & you're a very nice person. That is all.

Kris said...

Hahahaha... that's the most normal thing you've ever said to me, thus making it weird. Woo hoo!

7:19 poet said...

#6 - MacGruber came out on video and he blew shit up.

7:19 poet

Kris said...

Bahahahaha.

Ha.


Yes.


Come back everyday, please.

S. said...

I LOVE this post. I honestly teared up reading number 5, because your honesty and vulnerability just shine through. You are an amazing girl, please don't change.

Kris said...

Thank you, S. That's really sweet of you to say. And while I'm sure a lot of people wish that I would, I will probably never change. At least not much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...