If you read my last post, you know that I dubbed 2010 "The Year of the Suck". More nasty things have happened in the past 12 months than I could possibly list in a blog post, so it seems aptly titled.
It has sucked.
But in the comments, Jetson Stamina decided to call me out and throw a challenge at me:
Just for shits and giggles, I challenge you to write a post about 2010 being the "Year Of The AwesomeTastic" A non-sarcastic argument for why you think 2010 kicked some dirty ass. - Jetson Stamina
Challenge accepted. Sorta.
A post about this year being "awesometastic" (thanks for using my word, JS) should really only be a sentence long. But I'll try my best to stretch this mofo out, and list all the slightly almost good things that happened this year. Let's see how this goes.
1. Daisy. My favourite thing ever. The year started badly for her when her Daddy moved out and then her best friend Jack did, too. Then moving from her familiar spot in Toronto to my hometown of St. Catharines was tough. She got over it, though. More people to love her daily, a big backyard to run in, long walks by the lake? Yeah. She may miss Jack, but 2010 has been ok for my girl.
2. I had to quit the job I loved and move outta the city, but that meant moving in with my parents. Doing this allowed me to save a bit of money and pay off some of the major debt that resulted over the hard years that the ex and I had. Most importantly, I was finally able to get Daisy fixed. $600 later, I was poor again. Worth it.
3. I had a great 27th birthday. No drama, tears or asshole behaviour. Lots of amazing friends. Much needed and much appreciated.
4. Spending Saturdays at Mansion House with my old Booze Crew. Also living a couple of blocks away from Miss Leah again. Car rides, singalongs, having someone to bitch to. Family being around. These are good things.
5. I was able to distance myself from some negative situations and take some time to reflect on the past few years. The conclusions I came to weren't necessarily good ones, or ones that I wanted, but sometimes painful things need to happen in order to figure yourself out. I also finally took the time to see a counselor for awhile when I felt like I couldn't handle my own thoughts anymore. Added to that, I managed to stay single for once in my life instead of throwing myself headfirst into another love, or even falling back on a past one.
While I've been very unhappy and repeatedly hurt or forced to deal with what seems like the worst luck ever, I suppose it all needed to happen. I don't know why yet, but someday it'll all make sense.
So there ya go, Jetson Stamina. A somewhat "awesometastic" list for 2010. It doesn't compare to the "shit-tastic" list (that would be 5 to 1,000,000), but it'll have to do.