Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Figures That My Courage Would Choose To Sell Out Now

All my life, I've been fairly obsessed with song lyrics. Yes, even "Skinnamarinky Dinky Dink" held deep and profound meaning. Sharon, Lois & Bram were poets for pre-schoolers.

Relateable or well-written lyrics can absolutely make or break a song for me, and often have. Of course, the sadder the words, the deeper they cut to the core and created a new musical obsession. That's just the kinda chick I am.

It's no wonder that songs, more than anything else, have the ability to immediately transport me to a different time in my life, and bring with it all the emotions and thoughts that were involved. It's like Quantum Leap set to music. I can't always gauge where the next leap will take me.

The only downside is that sometimes I can't listen to some of my favourite songs because they take me to bad or sad places that I don't wish to tread again. Elliot Smith & I are still working on fixing our marred relationship.

That's what lyrics do.

I've looked back at old lyrics I wrote a long, long time ago... reading them, I appeared heartbroken before my heart had ever been broken; old & tired before I had even hit highschool. I guess I knew the key to drawing people in was to hit 'em where it hurt. That, and well... I was a sad, sad child at times.

Ah, lyrics.

Somewhere, there's a song with your perfect lyrics. The words are talking to you, know exactly what you're feeling in that instant. They'll make you smile or bring you to tears.

Tell me music isn't magic. I'll prove you wrong.




 "You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird."







13 comments:

Vern said...

Sounds like a song within itself.

Kris said...

Ooh, I like that.

Anonymous said...

I love this. I really do.

Kris said...

I'm glad :)

Mike D. said...

I think we would all like to see some of those lyrics one day, Kris. Sharing is caring. :p

Kris said...

Maybe some day. Ya never know. I have no shame.

Masuka said...

....Something looks different with this site........?

Kris said...

Yeah, a li'l bit.

Anonymous said...

Y YOU NO POST WITH BLOGGGIRL PICTUREZ?!
See what I did there.

Kris said...

Yes. No. I think so?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Wait, are you saying there could be a Quantum Leap musical? Oh, lord! We gotta go with Sam Bacula in the main role, and is the guy who played Al still alive?

ghost said...

ive only just recently been able to listen to black by pearl jam again. that one kills me.

Kris said...

Doc - I think ya mean Scott Bacula, who played Sam... was his name Sam? I think Al's still alive. I swear I've seen him in other things.

ghost - That song used to kill me, too. When I broke up with my first boyfriend, I locked myself in my bedroom and played Black over and over and over and cried. Dramatic, non? Took me a long time to listen to it and not cry. Still one of my favourites though, and it'll always make me kinda sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...