Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm Getting Lazy; Throw Me A Bone

What a friggin' day yesterday was.

Hottest day of the year, decade, recorded history - I've heard all of 'em.

Point is? It was hot.


Since my poor hot dog and I were sweating to death in our air conditioner-less apartment, a friend set us up in his office to keep cool (thank you, sir).

That was a good thing about my day.

But the way home was... not so good.

On my walk to the Queen streetcar, my shoe started to literally fall apart. By the time I got on the packed car, it was completely busted. After standing for awhile, I finally managed to hobble my way to a seat to inspect the shoe. It was beyond immediate repair.

This is what I get for buying cheap shoes (hey, at least they lasted for years).



And so, I had the fun task of walking home barefoot.

One one arm, I had my computer, books, and all the crap that went with it, plus a broken shoe and a half broken shoe.

The other hand? Reigning in a panting, crazy Daisy.


I managed to burn my feet on the insanely hot pavement, and then step in glass. Huzzah! Such luck.

By the time I got home to my sweltering apartment, I was sweating buckets and ready to kill something. Anything.

Instead, I did the smart thing. I had a beer.


Having discovered that Daisy loves watermelon and it seems to cool her down, we gave that a go too.



So, although it was hot as hell, I figured we'd be ok. We got past the worst of it, right?

Wrong.

Later that same night the heat finally made me sick. Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, whatever you want to call it - I was sick. Dry heaves, dizziness, headache...

Kris was not a happy girl.


You can probably guess what I'm doing today.

Yep. Hunting for air conditioners.

Screw you, heat & bad luck. I shall own you.


15 comments:

Vern said...

Sounds like the glue on your shoes literally melted. Beer and watermelon have saved many a day for me! Better luck next heat wave!

Kris said...

I do believe you're right! The glue melted off. As it turns out, it happened to both shoes... but one held it together better.

RealSuperKeith said...

Sorry to hear about your horrendous day. Hope you were able to cool down enough since...
One thing I have learned over the years is to never skimp on anything that I'll wear on my feet, be it shoes, boots, skates, slippers and even flippers. We spend so much time using our feet, they deserve to be well taken care of. Take it from a pro, save up and pay up so you don't end up being reduced to hobbling around the basepaths of life with mangled footsies...just some friendly advice, hope you don't mind...

Kris said...

Nope, you're right. That's also why I like wearing my running shoes or Chucks whenever I can.

Comfortable shoes don't tend to break as much ;)

Shevy said...

Ice Cubes...

No not for anything kinky... I can picture Masuka reading this and going there...

But for Daisy.
Lots of dogs LOVE ice cubes and it'll cool her down.
Plus they are free.

Kris said...

Yup, I give her lots in her water dish. But she actually isn't a fan of them... weird.

Anonymous said...

That means you will have a kick ass weekend. It has to! Hope you have some hot dates lined up!

screetus said...

Ouch!
But who knew your shoes had so many hidden storage compartments built in.

At least you had a beer.

May your weekend be much improved!

Kris said...

Anon - Shhh. :)

Screetus - Thanks hun!

Anonymous said...

If you hadn't been such an argumentative DoDo bird you would have been in the AC 4 hours earlier.

:P

Kris said...

Well, I wasn't. Cuz I don't like you.

:)

ghost said...

116 here yesterday.

Kris said...

I only know celsius. I'm a bad person.

spinning revolutions said...

no! air conditioners are bad. fan if anything. just my opinion. uhm, do you write scripts or short stories by any chance?

Kris said...

I have, why?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...