Thursday, September 29, 2011

Give Me Spots On My Apples, But Leave Me The Birds & The Bees

While the majority of my blog posts are based around rants, beer and nonsensical ramblings, there are some things that I write about because I want to create more awareness; inform readers about issues that I consider to be of some importance or relevance. This is one of them.

If you live in Ontario, there's a good chance you've heard about the Mega Quarry proposed by The Highland Companies. You've probably also seen signs on your neighbours' lawns, like these ones:


But there's also a good chance that you're not completely sure what everyone is protesting against. What's the big deal? Well, lemme 'splain it to you - or, should I say, have the NDACT explain it to you (since they'll surely say something better than "dude, this mega quarry is bad news bears 'n stuff!" A vast improvement on my own verbiage, no doubt).

From their website:

This is an application for what would be the largest ever quarry in Canada and the second largest in North America.The proposed quarry site is situated on prime agricultural land, to be excavated invasively 200 feet below the water table in the midst of the headwaters for a number of significant river systems that serve a large portion of Ontario’s population.

Due to the sheer magnitutude of the proposed excavation, and the fact that it lays in a highly sensitive water recharge area, any miscalculation, oversight or other error could result in an environmental catastrophe of enormous proportions.

Like I said - bad news bears.

So, what can we do about it? There are a few things.

Join the Facebook page. Sign one of the many petitions. Get a sign for your lawn.

And, if you're local (or up for a road trip), grab a ticket to Foodstock - some of Canada's top chefs will be cooking at this pay-what-you-can event as a fundraiser in support of the movement.


The more we fight against it, the better the chances that it won't happen.

For more info, you can read all about it at NDACT.com.

(See mom? Not even a mention of beer in this post! Except that one. and the one before. Ah, nevermind...)

15 comments:

Masuka said...

where is this quarry? what are they digging for? is it gold?? I like gold.

Vernon said...

There's always room for more volunteers!

Kris said...

Masuka - Nope, no gold. That'd change everything!

Vernon - I'll let 'em know.

Mike D. said...

Pretty far from Niagara, but maybe I'll go anyway. Carpool anyone?

Kris said...

If you were on Facebook, you'd find people.

Anonymous said...

Found this write up from the NoMegaQuarry twitter. Thanks for calling more attention to this, every bit truly helps.

Kris said...

Thanks for reading, anon!

alex said...

I'll quite likely much do anything you say to do. So I'm getting a sign.

Kris said...

Anything I say, huh? Excellent. ;)

Montgomery said...

Thanks for reading, anon!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://extrasun.ru/Prodaja.html][img]http://extrasun.ru/components/com_joomgallery/img_thumbnails/_1/_20120510_1390907132.jpg[/img][/url]
Принцип работы обогревателя – инфракрасные тепловые потоки от пламени, заключенного в стеклянную колбу. В отличие от распространенных газовых обогревателей типа «Грибок», распространяются не только из под верхушки, но и по всей длине колбы. Эффективность по сравнению с Грибками в несколько раз выше, при этом эффекта напекания головы не ощущается! [url=http://extrasun.ru/poleznie-soveti.html] Качество используемых материалов на самом высоком уровне. Обогреватели “SIRIUS” не прихотливы в использовании и хранении, они не боятся влаги и неподвержены коррозии.[/url]
Безопасность использования обеспечивается автоматической блокировкой подачи газа в экстренных ситуациях.

Anonymous said...

Your own wrіtе-up feаtures сonfiгmed benefісial tо myѕelf.
It’s quite educational anԁ you're simply naturally very experienced in this area. You possess opened up my personal face in order to numerous opinion of this subject together with intriguing, notable and reliable written content.

Also visit my weblog - buy Klonopin
My website buy Klonopin

Anonymous said...

Your aгtісle has confirmeԁ helρful
to myѕelf. It’s quite еduсаtionаl anԁ you're simply clearly really experienced in this region. You possess opened my face in order to numerous opinion of this particular topic with intriguing, notable and strong articles.

my blog post :: codeine
Feel free to surf my blog post ; codeine

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I looked on the internet to learn
more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.



Also visit my blog post; Women's armitron watches

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can't wait to take a
look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!

Feel free to visit my site ... blackhat seo techniques

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...