Monday, October 17, 2011

Pick Up The Receiver, I'll Make You A Believer

On Friday night, I headed to Brassaii to celebrate the birthday of my gorgeous friend Laura.


How I've missed this chick. Truly.

It was awesome to hang out with so many friends I haven't seen in a long time, and see Bob spin to a different crowd than I'm used to.


As per usual, I got in the face of dudes that try to touch me or my friends. I can't help it - I think chicks should be able to dance and have fun without being pawed at by overdressed drunk guys. Luckily, these ones played along after awhile and got the hint. I think.

All in all it was a fun time... til the next day. While I stayed fairly sober, I did drink a beer at Brassaii that smelled slightly... off. Shouldn't have done that. Was sick all Saturday, and then headed to the Lisa Hannigan show at The Mod Club.

And that brings on a whole new story.


I was pretty excited for the Lisa Hannigan show, and damn glad I started to feel better about an hour beforehand. I even wore a dress to see my girl-crush. So, there I was... pretty close to the stage, blown away by her amazing voice, loving the show... when I started to see dots in my eyes, or what I call a "brownout". It's like the beginning stages of a blackout that never quite comes.

I closed my eyes and assumed it would pass, but when I opened them I couldn't see anymore. I could see lights, but not make out any shapes or people. My friend noticed and had me grab onto him, when suddenly I couldn't breathe properly. Scared the shit outta me; I didn't know what was happening. I managed to let him know I had to get out of there, and he led me to the back where he got me some water, but I couldn't drink it. I needed to get outside and try to breathe, but he had to take me there because I couldn't see. The pain in my chest had increased and my breathing got worse. I was frightened and started to tear up, which really didn't help matters.



Luckily there was a medic there, and he sat me down, told me to lean forward and try to breathe. He gave me some water and asked me some questions, and it turns out that what happened was a result of my anxiety disorder being taunted by my blood sugar problems. How fun. And odd, because I had no anxiety - I was fine. I'm assuming the blood sugar issue was the main culprit.

Way to go, blood sugar. You asshat.


The medic had the same health issues I do, and gave me something to bring with me whenever I leave the house. It's a dextrose gel that will keep me from passing out whenever my blood sugar dips:


Yep.

Don't be jealous of my 'Dex Glucose 4', guys. Or my way to ruin shows by losing my sight and ability to breathe.

Luckily, the rest of the show was enjoyed without incident.  And my girl-crush on Lisa Hannigan remains. Here's the kickass version of Personal Jesus she did for her final encore. Watch the whole thing for the fun parts, it was so good live.



13 comments:

Alyson said...

Holy shit, I'm glad you're okay! Glad you have your fancy Dextrose gel to help you next time. Don't make me start worrying about you whenever you go out!

RealSuperKeith said...

Is that a Top Gun t-shirt that C is wearing? Slider and Iceman approve...

Kris said...

Alyson - No need to worry! I've got Dex Glucose 4! ;)

SuperKeith - Yep. His friend gave it to him. I would've stolen it, but I don't want his cooties. Yeah. I said cooties.

Anonymous said...

Assuming you had beers at the show, it likely did not help matters.

Kris said...

That's usually a safe assumption, but nope. I didn't have a single beer that night, or anything to drink aside from water.

blepharisma said...

Hey Shamblor,
I had something happen like that, too, except my eye fuzziness went away pretty quickly. We went out for dinner to Bar Volo, and it was kinda hot in there. I was probably hungry. I had only had a few sips of beer, when my vision turned yellow and I felt faint. I sat down on the floor, right at the bar! It eventually went away, but I was feeling so off that we just left. Prob low blood sugar, possibly also low iron... but maybe anxiety played a factor too? I hadn't thought of that.

Kris said...

Yeah, you have similar problems to mine... yay for seester problems! Do you want some super awesome Dex Gel Magic? It unleashes the awesome power of Dextrose. Not apples.

You're likely the only person who has any idea what I'm talking about.

Masuka said...

Maybe you should start drinking beer with sugar in them.. I hear that fruli beer is a good time for the women-folk :D (you can hit me later)

Kris said...

I don't even know what that is.

I don't wanna Google it. I'm afraid.

(Besides, there was no beer involved on the night o' low blood sugar, sugar.)

Mike D. said...

Was Damien Rice there?

Kris said...

Nope, it's her solo stuff. I've been crazy for the new album for the past few weeks.

PatZ said...

that's almost like food in a tube. that means you're that much closer to being an astronaut.

Kris said...

I've always been one, my friend. You, The Director of Awesome, should know this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...