Friday, October 14, 2011

What Comes Is Better Than What Came Before

I have never used LOL in a sentence.

Except, of course, to type that I've never used it.

I get the concept. I understand why people use it. But... I just can't do it.

I'm more of a "ha" or "hahaha" chick. Maybe a "heh", if your comedic skills allow for it.

But LOL? Nope. If ever I actually do laugh out loud, I'll say "I actually just laughed out loud like a dumbass". That's how you know you're good.

And yeah, the subject of this post is insanely stupid - but I have certain pet peeves, and this is my damn spot for rant-age. Ya dig? It's likely my love of words that prevents me from using it. That, and its extreme overuse by the masses.

An old pic of what laughing sometimes looks like.
Over the years this "LOL" phenomenon has gotten out of hand. I'm putting my foot down (or perhaps shoving it up your collective asses). A sentence like "Oops, I slept in late!" is just fine the way it is. Don't ruin the meaning by changing it to "lol oops I just slept in! lolololololol."

Which brings me to another point - "lolololololol" technically is saying "laugh out loud out loud out loud out loud...". Just how loud are you laughing? Quiet down, damn you!

I'm in the minority here, and I know that. Most people use Ye Olde Lol in almost every sentence, and will continue to. That's fine - it's your prerogative to choose your own interweb-speak. But please don't ever expect me to use it, or start LMAOing or ROTFLing... because I'll always pronounce them as words. Le-ma-oh. Rot-ful. Yep. I do that.

I apologize that this bitchy blog post doesn't make you laugh out loud. But at least it's not all about "FML", because that shit is a whole 'nother story.

So... BRB. Or something.


17 comments:

TC said...

Ha, YES! I am exactly the same. I do NOT and will NEVER use any of those.

Kris said...

:)

I honestly thought people would yell at me for this one.

Bill said...

OMG I H8 these abbreviations..oh well TTFN XOXOXOXOX

Awesome Dave said...

I can't stand LOL either. :P

Masuka said...

It's just part of the lexicon for me.. I hate it as much as people saying "oot" instead of "out". But I still catch myself using it cuz I'm surrounded by it.

Just surrender to the dark side like the rest of us LOL!

Kris said...

Bill - You the abbreves? totes. (*shudder*)

Dave - Join the cool club!

Masuka - No way, dude! and I don't say "oot" anyway. So thurr.

Alyson said...

YES!! Totally agree

RealSuperKeith said...

Your love of words is probably rivalled by your love of punctuation - right, comma momma?

Kris said...

Alyson - I somehow knew ya would!

Keith - Hey, stranger! You got that right... The Comma Momma lives on.

Aaronio said...

i wuz at the dentist tofay LOL! and then i came home and my boyfriend;s underware wer on the flore LMAO i tolf him to suvck my spear tire LMDAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Kris said...

Of all that, 'tolf' was the greatest word. And Aaron is my favourite.

blepharisma said...

I don't think I use LOL that much, unless I'm purposely being douchey and all "LOL"... you know?

I'm also a hahahahahahahaha person.

Don't get me started on the FML garbage. Give it up, people! Aside from the fact that I ALWAYS read that as 'female' initially, and then have to clue in to the 'woe is me' idiocy that I am actually reading.

Kris said...

Which would make sense if it was "Totes got my period today, guyz. FML".

Female.

Andrew II said...

while I'm not big on the 'lol', I do find myself saying 'wtf' more than i'd like.

Kris said...

Yeah. I'll admit to that one. I'll use a 'wtf' sometimes. Especially if I'm trying to get a point across but don't want to say 'fuck' too many times in one sentence... since that's something I do, and sometimes at the wrong time.

Andrew II said...

yeah apparently some people don't like it when you swear multiple times in sentences, i have the same problem.

Jenn A. said...

I'm totally with you on the whole LOL thing. I prefer "haha" myself. I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or what, but all these abbreviations and shortening of words is annoying to me. This girl I know always writes tm instead of tomorrow. What? It took me a minute to figure out what she meant. Actually when I see TM I think tinted moisturizer, but I guess that just stems from being beauty obsessed.

And PS yay, I'm able to comment on your blogspot! Not everyone has the same options enabled as you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...