Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm Your Superhero, We Are Standing On The Edge

I often explain to people that I'm more of a pub chick than a club chick.

I have my reasons, and was reminded of one the other day. If I've blogged this before, you're just gonna have to deal with it - I sometimes suffer from Selective Memory Loss. It happens to 28 year-olds.

Many clubs are full of creepy "Situations". Ew.
Years ago, I'd go to a bar in St. Catharines because my boyfriend at the time was a bouncer there. It wasn't my usual type of place, but I'd go to visit the dude and the bartenders and people who worked there that I liked.

One night, a girlfriend and I were on the dance floor, having the proverbial "girls night". As with all clubs and bars, dudes approached, but we politely declined. One guy didn't take it so well.

He asked if he could dance with me, and I (quite nicely) said no thanks because I was dancing with my chick, and visiting my boyfriend at work. He kept asking. Pestering. Somehow I didn't even get pissed off and yell at him. Yes, in my early twenties I was surely the picture of patience and grace. Ok, maybe that's bullshit - but I was nice to this dude. He, however, didn't appreciate my politeness.

When I turned back to dance with my friend, the guy hit me in the back of the head with his beer bottle. I shit you not. Ouch.

Now full of the German Anger we know I possess, I whipped around and yelled "Did you just fucking hit me in the head with your BEER BOTTLE because I wouldn't dance with you?!" Apparently he hadn't heard me when I explained that my boyfriend was a bouncer there. Losers are often hard of hearing, did you know that?

Beware the German Anger. It's comin' for ya.
Dude ran. He was fast for a little jackass.

He managed to weasel his slimy self outta the bar before my ex and bouncer friends could get him. Lucky.

And that, my friends, is a prime example of why I am a pub chick and not a club chick. Dealing with douchebags gets tiresome, and I prefer not to live in an episode of Jersey Shore North. I may like to dance... but it's just not worth the arrogant yuppies and the wannabe playboys.

So cheers to tasty beers with friends in places that I can actually hear our conversations, and not get hit in the head (usually).

*clink*




19 comments:

Nick said...

100% agree with ya. Never had a problem like this, but even when I was 'club age', I preferred pubs or restaurants where we could just shoot the shit without having to yell.

I've never had a good time at a club when I wasn't completely trashed, and for that reason, I pretty much only went to clubs in London when I was visiting my best friends at Western. Hijinks.

But yeah, call me old or lame or whatever. I'd rather just hang out than get my freak out. :)

(man, none of the login options for posting work!)

ghetto.punk.chic said...

I'm pretty sure I was this friend.

justinbaisden.com said...

Clubs in St. Kitts *shudder*

Kris said...

It usually was (you're good like that), but I remember it being Jenna. It was weird night.

Nick - Damn right. I don't wanna have people introduce themselves to me by humping me on a dancefloor til I punch them in the face. Y'know?

Kris said...

Justin - Yep. But pubs in St. Kitts are good times!

TJ said...

I prefer pool tables to dance floors, myself. There is something to the dank, wooden, brass-railed darts thing. I'm willing to bet the ladies that frequent places like this are more down-to-earth too.

Kris said...

True. Clubs can make me feel out of place because me and the chicks there don't have much in common.

Masuka said...

Didn't I introduce myself to you by humping your leg?

Kris said...

Something similar to that, yes. But I also met you through a boyfriend. So that somehow makes it ok.

Keir said...

Agree. Pubs over clubs. Especially clubs with asshole promoters who wouldn't book my bands.

TJ said...

I'm with you on that one. I have buddies that are much more comfortable in clubs than I am but they're from the city. It's like second nature to them. You can take the dude out of the country but you can't take the country out of the dude.
BTW - I'm a rocker, soooo not country.

Kris said...

Keir - I'd book yer bands. For realz.

TJ - haha, I knew what ya meant!

PatZ said...

jesus, next time give us a warning that that's the first thing we'll see. gonna go bleach my eyes now.

Wil said...

I totally agree. There's nothing like the feel of a good pub where everybody knows everybody.

Kris said...

Pat - Sorry. If it helps, I had to do the same thing after searching for pics.

Wil - Yep. That's probably why Cheers ran for so damn long.

Friend said...

Long time no comment. Just wanted to say that it's men like that guy who give us good ones a bad name.

Kris said...

Yep. And it's usually the bad ones I have the joy of dealing with.

Dave said...

Enjoying your blog after I stumbled upon it via a friends Facebook. You have a very humorous outlook on life that comes across.

Happy Holidays,

Dave

Kris said...

Thanks Dave! Happy Holidays to you, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...