Friday, January 27, 2012

Deaf And Blind And Dumb & Born To Follow

On Wednesday, I unexpectedly got a message from my new hero, Tristan.

Knowing that I had been none-too-happy about missing out on Tool tickets, and then was too broke to buy them from someone afterward, he asked if I wanted to take his tickets because he couldn't go.

Uhh... YEAH I DO.

So instead of sitting on my ass at home as planned, watching Californication and Shameless, I was off to finally see Tool. Kapow.

My pictures... not so good.


And my phone died right away. But whatever, I don't care. I was entranced by Maynard. And we were at a fun angle as far as the light show goes... I think Matt got some fun video of that.


Partway through, a group of big dudes came along and kicked out the people beside me for being in their seats. Lucky me, a 300 pound guy ended up beside me instead. A very, very drunk 300 pound dude.

We were pretty high up, and I'm really afraid of heights. This guy is all over the place, dancing, swaying, and looking like he was going to fall over and drag me with him.He kept elbowing me in the boob with his drunken movements, so I had to tell him to stop.

The guy was a mess. At point point he decided to call his girlfriend. His side of the conversation was something like this:

"Baby...baby... I love you. Baby, I can't hear you! Baby... I'm at Tool. You're the only girl for me, ok? I'm sorry, baby. You're the only one. Baby... I can't hear you, but I called you from Tool. Baby I love you. ....baby."

Mmhmmm.


After Tool played 'Sober', the guy turns to me and Matt and yells "That is the truest song ever made! It's true for moms, dads, kids... it's the truest ever!!!"

I said "Because children should not be sober?"

"No man, it's more than that! It's so true... like how a kid might see people who are drunk...." and then he mumbled some stuff. Who knows.

That was roughly the part where his drunk friend on the other side of him grabbed me and told me to switch places with the guy beside me. Apparently they decided that I was single, and I must therefore mate with Other Drunk Guy.

No. I'm good, thanks.

So while the large drunk guys were amusing/frightening, the show itself was awesome. Very glad I got to go.

Thanks Tristan - you're the bee's knees.

And for anyone that wasn't there.... watch this. Same concert in Reno: the full show:



And no - I wasn't "that girl", and didn't wear my Tool shirt.

Happy Friday, folks.

20 comments:

Shmiggitz said...

The best part was the phone call the guy made.

Sounds like you got two 'Tool' shows that night!

Ha...hahaha! See what I did there?!

Kris said...

Hahaha... well done, Smack. Well done.

PatZ said...

Thus why I always try to go for floor tickets, because you do't have to put up with that shit.

Floors at Tool. SO. RAD.

First time I saw them was in Ottawa, went with my new roommate who had bought tix in Vancouver for the show in Ottawa prior to moving there. then he convinced me to go. Floors are sold out, but I got third row seating right by the gate to the floor. We get there and we're trying to figure out how I can get down there without being busted. Our plan is he slips off the wrist band, puts it in his wallet and passes it up to me.

BUT.

In a sheer stroke of genius, I walked up to the dude handing out the wrist bands, point at my seat, point at my buddy and say "I'm this close, do you have one extra?"

He looks at us, looks around and says "come back when the lights go down and don't say shit to anyone."

Thus, floors were had.

FUCKING. EPIC.

Floors second time too, got shafted third time around, but it's Tool and there's no excuse to miss that.

On a side note, I've only ever been That Drunk Guy at a concert once. Scott Weiland solo tour. Commodore Ballroom. standing right in front of the stage. I kept screaming PLAY BARBARELLA!!!! I was a winner that night.

Alyson said...

I HATE other people at concerts. They almost make me not want to go at all.

Tristan said...

Whaaaaat, the whole show is on Youtube? See I'm so glad I read your blog, because at least now I get to see it from afar. Glad you and Matt enjoyed it.

Kris said...

Pat - Even the floors were seats at this one.

Alyson - Yeah, I've had some not-so-fun experiences with people at concerts. Too many assholes.

Tristan - Yup, the Reno show. And did enjoy it! Thanks again.

STFU Childless said...

Elbow in the boob?? Dude stole my move!

Actually, I was at the waterpark for a birthday and I wasn't swimming so I was fully clothed and I was standing there watching my spawn on the slide and I turned to go sit down and totally, accidentally smacked this bikini-clad woman on the ass with the back of my hand. I said sorry, but no woman would think that was unintentional. But it was!

STFU Childless said...

Elbow in the boob?? Dude stole my move!

Actually, I was at the waterpark for a birthday and I wasn't swimming so I was fully clothed and I was standing there watching my spawn on the slide and I turned to go sit down and totally, accidentally smacked this bikini-clad woman on the ass with the back of my hand. I said sorry, but no woman would think that was unintentional. But it was!

Kris said...

Was she hot?

Bill said...

Was a great show. I really enjoyed it.

Kris said...

Oh right, you were there too! Hell, I didn't realize I knew so many people that went to it.

Bill said...

I was told there were tons of people getting kicked out for being beyond drunk. I guess you had a couple beside you.

Kris said...

Yep. They didn't get kicked out though. They left near the end because the one guy was too drunk.

I think it was my first concert without any beer whatsoever.

Bill said...

After being around the ACC tonight I heard it was a gong show of drunks and drunks getting tossed. I here it was a very bad night for security.

I beat you this was my second concert in a row that I was sober as a judge.

Bill said...

For the love of God I meant hear

Kris said...

Yep, there was a police officer near our section for the whole show.

Mike D. said...

Good for you, Kris! Glad you got to go.

Kris said...

Moi aussi!

Anonymous said...

so if you didn't wear a tool shirt, what did you wear?

Kris said...

Alice in Chains shirt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...