Friday, January 6, 2012

Don't Come Around, I Got My Own Hell To Raise

I randomly stopped at my long-forgotten Formspring account yesterday, and saw a buncha questions I never bothered to answer. So, since this migraine and neck pain has taken over my life and I'd like to refrain from bitching about it, I'll answer this gem from 11 months ago:

How do you expect to ever have a boyfriend that will put up with guys hitting on you and being creepy wanting you and complimenting you online or even in person? Would you shut it down for someone?

 
My Big Mac brings all the boys to the yard...
Hmm.  

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but every girl everywhere gets hit on and complimented at one point or another. So if all men took serious issue with this, they'd be unable to ever date. Right? Right.  

But since you bring up the online/blog aspect of it all, I'll answer that. A compliment via blog comment is a pretty harmless one. It's either a complete stranger I'll never meet, or a friend or acquaintance I already know. Therefore, when an anonymous reader says something creepy or asks me out - it poses no real issue. Obviously, nothing ever becomes of that. So it's nothing for my "future awesome boyfriend" to worry about.  

I'd assume that any guy I ever end up getting serious with will know of all my online crap before we date - so if he didn't like that, he probably wouldn't date me. I shouldn't need to shut it down for anyone at this point. But if it became a problem, or things got too weird... ah, who knows. I'll cross that bridge if it comes, or throw him off of the damn thing.  

A privacy issue is one thing. Anyone who doesn't want to be mentioned or pictured is not. I don't blog/tweet/update about absolutely everything. In fact, most things are kept to myself. (Surprised?) And if you'll notice all the posts where I mention "my friend" or "my buddy" and have no pictures of them? Yeah. It's because either I don't want to tell you too much, or they don't want info made public.
 
"My buddy" is jealous of your comments.
So... to finish answering your question: I'd expect that my boyfriend may enjoy learning about me by reading some past posts, and might like that this type of a site is a great memory preserver, should he wish to be a part of it. Shutting it down because someone compliments me would be the same as being told I'm not allowed to go to bars anymore due to men hitting on me. That's bullshit. I'm a big girl. 

I've dated guys that, at first, wanted their friends to think I was attractive and then later became insanely jealous anytime another male even spoke to me. I'm as trustworthy as you can get, and a one-man girl at all times. If he was smart (and he must be, to date me. Ha!), he'd know that.

There's your long-winded answer. Future boyfriend... please take note. See you at home!

17 comments:

Alyson said...

Only insecure people ask insecure questions like that.

Masuka said...

That would be a super healthy relationship if he made you take down your blog because he was jealous.. Recently I was at lulu lemon and a cute girl came in with her boyfriend and asked "OK, What am I allowed to wear??" ..That's a healthy relationship.

As an aside, I hit on you everyday, you can't stop me. :P

Kris said...

Alyson - Agreed. No wonder it was anonymous.

Masuka - True, and any dude that reads my blog would know that and learn to deal. Ha.

ghetto.punk.chic said...

I would like to meet this 'future awesome boyfriend'.

Also, when you said 'my buddy', it prompted my head to start singing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOpmDFACXQ&feature=player_detailpage

Kris said...

Bahaha, I knew what that was before I checked the link. Yep.

Shmiggy said...

Alyson put it perfectly.

No guy (or girl - this is the 2000's) has any right to make you shut down your online presence just because people hit on you. Puhlease. Get over yourself. You are what you are and you do what you do - anybody who wants to change that doesn't really like you for who you are.

True love is accepting and appreciating someone for who they are - even if that means accepting that they post naked pictures of themselves online.

Not that you do that...but ya know.

Also - if I can't hit on you via Twitter or your blog when you have a boyfriend, then this is a world I don't want to live in.

P.S. Will you do me a huge favour and review my re-write? You're like the only one whose grammatical savvy I trust. I'll friggen' pay you.

Kris said...

Of course I'll review the re-write. I'm curious to see how ya changed it!

TC said...

How is that even a question? Jesus!

It's news to me that a relationship involves following some set of rules that the other person has set up for you so that you don't "rock the boat". The getting hit on/complimenting thing online? That's just laughable.

My boyfriend doesn't even read my blog anymore; he's well aware of what's on it, has been on it, may be on it in the future. It's mine, has nothing to do with him OR us and poses no threat to anything we have in our REAL LIFE relationship.

Can you imagine someone telling you you cannot WRITE on a friggin' blog, especially because of how you look?

Hilarious!!

Kris said...

Yep. Doesn't sound like a person I could date, anyway.

It'd be one thing if I suddenly started a blog about very personal things about HIM. But... I'm not a jerk. So if this scenario ever happened, it'd be laughable.

Anonymous said...

So when you say "buddy" you actually mean someone you are dating? You already have a boyfriend you aren't talking about?

Kris said...

Sigh.

Dave said...

Great answer. Weak sauce question.

Kris said...

Thanks! :)

Mike D. said...

I was going to ask the same as anonymous. Oops!

Kris said...

Crazy talk.

JimmyJoeBob said...

Great post, Miss Kris.

Kris said...

Thank ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...