Friday, January 13, 2012

Picking Apples For The Kings & Queens Of Things I've Never Seen

I know the majority of my friends and readers are musical folks. Some of you play it in bands. Some of you listen to it constantly. And some of you have heard music this one time through these little box-like things that emitted tones and other noises.


Well, I require your help.

A bunch of ya keep telling me to do more video blogs, but here's the thing - YouTube is "all up in my grill" as they (who?!) say.

Since I post music on each of the videos, I get in a bit o' trouble. This is because I have no rights to the songs, though I tell myself I own the rights to everything that was ever created. Ever. YouTube sends me emails that say "You'd better watch those songs yer posting! They don't belong to you, we can take that shit down!"

And sometimes they don't let me publish at ALL if certain songs are featured. Those emails are more like, "Silly bitch, you know that Gordon Lightfoot's record label would raise hell if you put him in a video about what your dog thinks of circumcision. And Black Sabbath would rather piss on your clips about dating than be in 'em. We're shuttin' ya down!" (note: My recollection of these emails from YouTube may be slightly hazy. One can't be too sure.)

So... I need different music. I need an intro. I need filler. I need stuff 'n junk 'n things, or my days of video bloggin' will be done. Yes, I can hear the collective sighs of relief. Too bad. I'm gonna keep posting them, I just need ideas and assistance.

Me & Ziggy Stardust (pictured) aren't quite ready. We're learning.
If you have any ideas of how a shamblin' ramblin' intro should go, throw 'em at me. And if you or your band have any songs they want featured, let me know

Tell yer friends. Use the force.



16 comments:

Alyson said...

Compose some terrible midi intro yourself, or do it in Mario Paint! It'd be the (nerdy) best.

Kris said...

Ooh, I like that idea.

Mike D. said...

Will you sing it?

Kris said...

Heh. Sing what?!

PatZ said...

use Vimeo. they don't have any checks for music. I mean, it's in their guidelines to have permission, but as far as I know, there's no content screening that kills your videos if you do.

or.

http://freemusicarchive.org/

or.

http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos

or.

yeah, just sing it like terrible karaoke.

Kris said...

If I do that, I prefer to call it awesometerribleKrisaoke.

Krisaoke is an acquired taste.

Sean Ward said...

Two things for you:

ONE: Do you blog on a Mac or a PC? If you have a Mac, you have Garageband and you could make some music for your vlogs pretty easily. Or I could send you a bunch of beats I made that way for my vlogs.

TWO: I could give you access to the Harth Records archive - http://harthrecords.bandcamp.com there are tons of albums with music in a huge range of styles.

Sean Ward said...

The other thing to do is reach out to local and lesser-known acts you like and ask them if you can use their music. You're pretty popular so most people would probably be very happy to let you use their music if you give them a plug at the end or in the description. Then all of a sudden on top of bieng a vlogger, you're a go-to expert on hot undiscovered music!

Kris said...

Yep, that's what I'm doing... hoping to use some of my friends' tunes. I just figured this is a more public way to let people know I'm lookin'! ;)

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of you doing it.

Keir said...

My Band Rocks HQ has a wide variety of sounds to choose from, Kris. What do you have in mind?

Kris said...

We'll discuss, mister! :)

Anonymous said...

More videos soon, yeah?

Kris said...

At some point, yep.

Masuka said...

Or you could get Masuka to do all your intros for you since that's what he does for a living.... just sayin'

Kris said...

Let's test that, Masuka.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...