Monday, February 27, 2012

Nothin' To Do, Nowhere To Go

Lately I've been re-watching My So-Called Life & Freaks and Geeks.

I was pretty young the last time I watched either of them, so re-viewing the "high school experience" a long (long) time after I've left high school is kinda interesting to me. I relate a little too much to both shows. In my own ways I was an Angela Chase, a freak, a geek, and million other things.

The 'scrunched' phase
I was confused. Scared shitless. Fit in everywhere, but also nowhere. I never felt good enough for anything or anyone.

A lot of people say that the high school years are the best years of your life. I remember thinking "God, I really hope not".  My dad once told me that anyone who believed that was an idiot (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I may be biased, but my dad is always right. Always.

Oh, Jordan Catalano.

I wouldn't go back to my high school years for any amount of money. The drama, the cliques, the rumours - the sick feeling when people are talking about you, but you haven't even done anything worth talking about. The belief that I would never be as pretty as the other girls, and that my whole life would always be this strange and awkward.

Shit no.

Geeks wanna be freaks sometimes
High school was a stepping stone on the weird and wonky path to figuring out who the hell I was and what the hell I wanted. It wasn't all bad, some of it was pretty darn awesome - I admit it. But even though a lot of my twenties have been really hard or painful, I wouldn't trade them for my teen years.

At 28, I'm proud to be a freak, a geek, and finally an independent chick.

Rawr.


But, hey - even if I ever did have to go back to High School Hell, at least my uniform kilt still fits. I wonder if Jordan Catalano likes kilts....


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...