Monday, March 19, 2012

The Cross I'm Bearing Home Ain't Indicative Of My Place

This past Friday night, the big castle at the High Park playground was burned down.



This may mean nothing to you; you likely have never been there and don't even know what it is. But I do. And this story broke my heart.

This playground is honestly the best playground I've ever seen, hands down. Who wouldn't want to play in castles? I know I do. And I have, in fact. I've explored those castles, played on those swings, gone down those slides. I do it often. As do a number of children who absolutely adore that playground.

The night it burned down, I was walking Daisy and had planned on walking her over to High Park. But I heard what sounded like a bunch of teenagers drinking and being loud & stupid, so I decided to avoid it. Little did I know, these kids would soon torch the playground.



For anyone who has ever played there, brought their kids there, or even passed by on a High Park walk, they were saddened to hear the news. Crushed, even. And many want to help built this awesome space back up.

More than a few of you have asked me what's being done to bring together a re-build, so here's the info I've found. If you follow this link, you'll get to a Facebook page dedicated to the playground re-build. There has been a $50,000 donation from Canadian Tire, Councillor Sarah Doucette has committed to help bring the playground back, and there has been a tremendous amount of input from local residents and businesses.

If anyone would like to volunteer, or donate funds to the rebuild, 'like' and stay tuned to this Facebook page or email Councillor Doucette at: councillor_doucette@toronto.ca.

And if you know any of the people who burned it down? Send 'em to me. I have a thing or two to discuss with them.

It's a good time to care a little, Toronto. Help get the kids their playground back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it
is really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Here is my site - Nike Free 3.0

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...