Saturday, May 5, 2012

Fifteen Blows To Your Mind

Some days I can't quite wrap my head around how the internet has changed absolutely everything, especially our relationships with each other.

The main culprit may be what we consider "social media", but it's really the whole dang interweb. I mean this in a very good way... and a very bad way. Think (if you can remember that far back) about how things were before we were all online. How did you talk to people? How did you meet them? How did you date, stay in touch, and learn about a person?

Ah, I remember those offline days. Vaguely.


Now, I love the internet. I truly do. So don't get me wrong... but sometimes it makes me want to pull my hair out. The problem is that you can't avoid things anymore. When there are things you don't want to read, pictures you don't want to see, or information and people you'd rather stay away from, it can be very hard to block it all out of your life.

The internet and social media have made a lot of things tough. Breakups are more painful and difficult. Relationships can be ruined by what is considered 'online cheating'. It's easier than ever for others to attempt to assume your identity, or copy certain things you do (this one I know all too well). For those reasons alone there are days that I hate the ol' web; the days when it makes me sick to my stomach and want to live in a cave, off the grid completely.

We could hack a life offline. Right?

On the other hand... without it, you wouldn't be reading this. There would be no Shambled Ramblings. The MediaHaus wouldn't exist as it does because most of it is highly internet-based, especially social media. I wouldn't have an easy way to update my friends and family at the same time, or stay in contact like I currently do. I would have missed out on a lot of amazing connections and friends I've made, not to mention some wonderful opportunities. Hell... I likely would have never had certain serious relationships, because I communicate and open up better in writing than I do in person (yes, it annoys everyone).

And online banking? That stuff is the tits! Why would I want to live without that?!

So the internet is pretty goshdarn awesome, even on the days it's horrible. I guess that's the bottom line to this ramble of a blog post. For the most part, the positives outweigh the seemingly brutal negatives.

But that doesn't stop me from wanting to completely disconnect sometimes.

Maybe one day...






2 comments:

Stephanie Voskuil said...

>> Click Here To See What Others Are Saying In fact digital calculations themselves require steady voltage to maintain memory, and power fluctuations can be catastrophic for the device functionality. Update your electoral role.

Anonymous said...

http://medassist.org/media/buypropecia/#34692 propecia hair loss side effects - 0.5 propecia results

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...