Thursday, December 6, 2012

I Wanna Feel The Change Consume Me, Feel The Outside Turning In


Every once in awhile I read articles stating that it's a big "red flag" when a girl has more male friends than female friends. And no, this is not a discussion about whether men and women can just be friends, because as far as I'm concerned that's a circumstantial issue (and yeah - they can). This is strictly about women with male friends.

It's bothered me for a long time and I often defend my views. So, yet again, I hope to dispel some of that absolute nonsense and defend those of us chicks who are just fine being "one of the guys":


I'm female. And yes, most of my friends are male. But there are very good, very logical reasons for it.

Though I'm a girl, I don't often care for typically girly things. I hate shopping. I couldn't care less about current fashion. I know next to nothing about celebrities. I use the same purse all year even if it doesn't match. I don't like nightclubs, other than a rare night with girlfriends. The colour pink, which is apparently the most feminine of all hues, is my mortal enemy.

I'm not implying that all girls like the things I've just listed. I'm merely saying that I do not. The things I do enjoy are quite different.


I like throwing back a few beers and seeing a live band. Hitting a pub and shooting the shit with like-minded people. My brain is perverted, sarcastic, and riddled with four-letter words - I dig conversation with people who are the same, or who appreciate that in another person. I'm more comfortable in a buddy's basement playing rockband than at a fancy party. Heavy music makes me happy.

It just so happens that the majority of things I enjoy tend to be enjoyed by guys more often than girls (and hey - I regularly make friends with girls that like those things, too). It's not a red flag or something to be wary of; it's the reason anyone is friends with anyone.

Simple, right?


I have female friends that are very dear to me, I'd never trade them for anything. But that isn't the point - the point is that somehow it's a negative reflection on me that I tend to have things in common with men. Well, I call bullshit. Bullshit on anyone who thinks that way.

So what if I'm a girl that has a lot of male friends - you make friends with people who share your interests, who you enjoy talking to, spending time with, and who like doing the same things you do. Whether male or female, it does not make one bit of difference. Bottom line.



So whoever sees it as a negative - I'm sorry that you let your insecurities keep you from having real friends, regardless of gender. But, thankfully, I don't have that problem.


17 comments:

Nick S said...

This 'red flag' is a thing? Is it supposed to imply that said girl is a sekrit lesbian or something? Like 'Watch out! She'll turn on ya!' ?

It's bs. Are these articles talking about dating or what?

TJ said...

You're a treasure and also correct. I thought about this and my friends are pretty evenly split 50/50. Gotta go with what you know.

Masuka said...

Yes, it's a red flag.. It means you're a loose woman. They have you pegged.

Kris Goetz said...

You wish, my dear. YOU'RE a red flag. (worst comeback ever.)

Kris Goetz said...

Most are about dating, some have just been general red flags... it's all dumb, though.

WilHarrison said...

And this is why we do/would get along swimmingly.

Kris Goetz said...

Glad you agree :)

Alyson Shane said...

As a lady with tons of guy friends, I totally get where you're coming from.

patzaph said...

If you really want to impress as being one of the guys, you need a pick up, a plaid jacket and a shotgun.

Because redneck is obvs the most manly you can be.

Kris Goetz said...

Crap. I'll have to work on that.

Kris Goetz said...

Let's go get a beer!

Kris Goetz said...

I'm such a bad swimmer.

Anonymous said...

I ԁrop a comment when I especially еnjoy a article οn a blοg or I have somethіng to valuable tо contribute to thе ԁіscussion.
Usually іt iѕ causeԁ by the passіon cοmmunicated in the artiсle
I brοωsed. Anԁ aftег this article "I Wanna Feel The Change Consume Me, Feel The Outside Turning In".
I waѕ moνеԁ enough to post а thοught
;) I actuallу do have 2 quеstіons fοr
yοu if it's okay. Is it just me or do a few of the remarks look as if they are coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing on other social sites, I'ԁ like to kеep up with
you. Would you make a list еvery one of all your public pagеs liκе your twitteг feed, Fаcebook page оr linkedin pгоfilе?


Here is my homeрage; premature ejaculation pills

Anonymous said...

I do tгust all the iԁeas уou have offerеd оn уour poѕt.
Theу're very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Also visit my blog Cougarclubusa.com

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also visit this blog on regular basis to take updated from hottest information.

Feel free to surf to my site cheap legal highs

Anonymous said...

I blog frequentlу and I serіously аppгeciate youг cοntеnt.
This artіcle haѕ truly peakеd my interest.
I'm going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once a week. I opted in for your Feed too.

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... v2 cigs review

Anonymous said...

Mortimer J. Adler, Jacques Barzun, and Alfred North Whitehead have all written thoroughly?
on the difficulty of creative imagination and education.

If you appear into the history of schooling inside the US, you'll see the drive to produce general public training revolve about math and science, using the arts and humanities subordinate, correlates using the history of increasing centralization and govt handle more than the entire process. Creative imagination can never ever be central within a government-run system due to the fact it is a risk.

Feel free to surf to my web site: premature ejaculation Drugs in ghana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...