Thursday, January 10, 2013

Still A Little Bit Of Your Song In My Ear

Roughly 99.9% of my job revolves around the internet. Running the business, connecting with people, the services we offer, and especially the social media management for clients.

But sometimes I loathe the internet.

Shut 'er down.
I know I've discussed this before, but sometimes it gets to the point that it bears repeating. I started my business because a big part of me loves the internet - it fascinates and amuses me. Opportunities are endless. But the love/hate aspect, from a strictly personal standpoint, has never wavered. The internet is both magical and evil.

The benefits it holds for businesses and brands is huge, obviously. And the way it allows anyone anywhere to connect is pretty amazing. I keep in touch with everyone I need to, anytime I want. All of that stuff I stand behind; those are the parts I truly dig.

But internet, you are damn preachy.

I often get tired of being told what I should be doing, how I'm living life wrong, and 8 billion articles a day that tell me why I suck at any particular thing and should re-think who I am. No, I don't need to know "5 Things Your Business Should Be Doing That We Recently Told You Your Business Should Not Be Doing." or "56 Ways Your Dumbass Facebook Profile Is Keeping You From Finding Love". Nope. Don't care.

There's that, and the inability to avoid things. We're exposed to everything, everyone. Even the things we try to steer clear of have a way of coming out at us. It's because of the internet that "FOMO" (fear of missing out - I loathe this acronym) became a thing due to everyone's need to be included in everything. People can very easily begin to lose grip on reality.

Yes, I realize the stupidity of me complaining about the internet on my personal blog. It's not lost on me.

But I still daydream about going off the grid for more than a day or two at a time. Being on an island or in a cottage somewhere with no computer, no cell phone, no internet. Just me and whoever I choose to spend my time with - no social media distractions, no articles yelling at me, no information overload. Just peace.

Daisy found our next home - no electricity.
I've recently realized how much social media and the internet in general aggravate my anxiety disorder. Sometimes I break from my personal stuff completely & focus only on client accounts to give my brain a rest. But, for now, it doesn't last long.

Ah, the joys of a love/hate relationship.

One day I'll master a balance. Until then, a chick can dream of something simpler.


7 comments:

Nick S said...

Chick, you doin' aiight.

Christine Pantazis said...

Yup. Love the internet. Can't live without it.
Yesterday rogers was down for a touch, I almost lost my mind. I got lot's of offline work done, like invoices, receipts, and other related paperwork but... I kept checking every few minutes to see if everything was back in working order.


I don't think I can go on vacation with out the internet and social media. That may never happen again.


I'm a robot.

Kris Goetz said...

I'm the same way. Last night when Rogers went down, I didn't know what to do with myself. And worst of all, I couldn't work. I hate that I'm so attached to it. A break once in awhile might be a good idea for me, but it may never happen ;)

Kris Goetz said...

Am I? Fo' real? *whew*

Alyson Shane said...

For unplugging from The Internet, might I suggest: http://macfreedom.com/

I use it all the time and it works great.

John E. Chuk said...

Every year I take off for about a week to our fishing lodge. It is boat access only, no hydro or telephones. Just this past year they extended cell phone service and it's just not quite the same. I'm thinking I should leave the phone in the car next time. It's everywhere!~

Blogger said...

Get Paid On Twitter?

Positions open right now. $20-$50 per hour. No experience required.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...