Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Cold Comfort Of The In-Between

How much information is too much, online?

With all of our outlets (social media, blogs, writing on bathroom stalls in bars), over-sharing has become the norm. I know what some of you ate for breakfast. What a few of you are wearing. How many times you cried yesterday, and which rom-com you think is about your life. And so on...

I'm not tellin'.
I'm no different, really. Or at least I wasn't - on this blog in particular, I'd post about many of my weakest moments, whatever was going on my life, and exactly how I felt about it. This was always my outlet, my little rambly corner of the web.

But, for a personal blog, things don't get overly personal anymore. While I still post semi-regularly, the majority of it isn't a reflection of my personal life. I haven't bothered to divulge the "important" stuff in quite some time. My personal details are kept under wraps, and it makes no difference to anyone (except me). It's a good thing.

Over the past year or so, I became wary of over-sharing. Everyone knew too much, so much that now I'm embarrassed by some of it. I don't embarrass easily. But whatever you put online, it's out there - you can't always pick and choose who sees it, or how they react to it.

I'm certain that there are people who would disagree and say that I share far too much, but most of it is surface stuff. The things you'd tell acquaintances. And when I write about the anxiety disorder, depression or any medical issues, it's because I hate the stigmas attached to them and feel that we should be talking about them. That's my choice.

The internet doesn't need to know everything. It already knows too much.

George Orwell was right - Big Brother is watching you.

So, what about you? How much information do you share with the world, and how much is too much? Opinions welcome; debates not needed.

(If this entire post lacks sense, I apologize - I haven't really slept in a couple of weeks, and I may or may not be hallucinating this entry. And no - that's not an overshare.)

5 comments:

WilHarrison said...

a/s/l

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, for the reason that I am truly keen of reading this web site's post to be updated regularly. It consists of nice data.
My homepage :: how to treat a swollen ankle

Mike D. said...

I hardly share anything but I'm completely boring.

Kris Goetz said...

Let's call it "mysterious".

Kris Goetz said...

Blast from the past, that is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...