Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Seasons Give The Reasons For Changes, And We're Changing

As a music fan, there's nothing better than hearing a new album you dig.

Unless, of course, that album hails from around the same place you do. So with a sense of Niagara pride, I give you A Book For Wanderers.


A Book For Wanderers is the solo debut from long-time musician Anthony Botting. I often hate classifying music into specific genres because of the limitations they possess - and in Botting's case, he made an album with songs that span multiple genres. It can't be pigeonholed into just one, and I have a feeling that's exactly what he was striving for. Smart move.

For me, A Book For Wanderers captures a sound like 90's Filter meets modern-day Deftones. His vocals are absolutely reminiscent of Chino Moreno's (when Chino's not screaming, of course), and you can hear Moreno's influence. But there's no denying the 90's feel to it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I miss the 90's, ok?


As far as the songs go, I'll admit that I've had You Killer in my head since my first listen. Even as I type this, it's playing in my head. At Sea takes a different direction than the songs before it - there may or may not have been a bit of living room dancing. Don't you judge me.

Then there's Lost Dogs (and I have to wonder - is the title a reference to the Pearl Jam album, or am I just reaching here?). This tune reminds me of the songs of my early teens that gave a off a hopeful feeling somehow. Like a brand new spin on old I Mother Earth. And Lions goes in yet another direction; equally catchy guitar riffs, with some definite depth to its sound.

If I had to choose my favourite track on the album, it just might be Rooms.  There's a dark simplicity to it that I really like. It ends the album on a fantastic note.


Throughout the album, Botting's voice is the thread that connects the genre-spanning songs. To put it bluntly, the dude's got chops. There's something soothing yet simultaneously "hard rock" about the way he sings. And with an album full of songs that can't all be classified as a whole, A Book For Wanderers is the perfect showcase of Anthony Botting's vast musical talents and influences.

Give the album a listen below, and see if you feel the same.

**Wanna win a copy of the A Book For Wanderers album? Yes, I mean a hard copy. A real, live album with cover & all, that you can hold in your hands - not just listen to over the internet. Comment below and tell me your favourite song on the album - I'll be giving away 6 copies. You can also buy them here. **

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heу there are usіng Wοrdpress for your blоg рlatform?

I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get starteԁ аnd sеt
up my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make youг own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated! http://www.wordsforweddings.com/father-of-the-groom-speeches/

Anonymous said...

ӏ'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days. Highly recommended Resource site

Mike D. said...

I think I'm with you. Rooms is great.

Kris Goetz said...

Smart choice. Email me your address, I'll send you a copy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...