Monday, April 15, 2013

Come Outside & Breathe In, Relax Your Arms & Let Me In

It's no secret that I'm a pretty big Deftones fan - and because of that, this post saddens me to write.

On Saturday night word got out that Chi Cheng, bassist for the Deftones, had passed away. After a car accident in 2008 left him in a "partially conscious state", his heart gave out at 3am on Saturday.


The news came to me while I was out for the night via a text from my cousin, and then the messages started pouring in. While the news is extremely sad, I'm also pleasantly surprised by all the posts and photos from people I never realized were fans - and maybe they aren't even fans of just his music.

When I met him many years ago, he immediately struck me as a kind soul. In a mere few minutes of conversation, he spoke to my friend and I as though we weren't just obsessed teenage fans begging for autographs. And as he signed his spoken-word album for my friend, he commented on the woman displayed on the cover and how beautiful she was. She was his wife at the time, and he spoke sweetly about her. No rockstar ego, no annoyance at us... he was just a nice guy.

I suppose I want to get across a certain idea about Chi - that he wasn't just a bassist, and not just a member of the Deftones. He was a poet, a Buddhist, a father, and so much more than we knew. He was a real person beyond his music. Sometimes we forget that about the musicians we adore.


Rest in peace, Chi. Your fans will never forget you.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm going to start my own blog in the near
future but I'm having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm
looking for something unique. P.S
Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Here is my web site Saphire Ecig

Anonymous said...

Awesome things here. I'm very glad to see your article. Thank you so much and I'm looking
ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?



Look into my webpage; %anchor_text%

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.


Check out my web blog :: mouse click the following webpage

Anonymous said...

I seriously love your website.. Great colors
& theme. Did you create this site yourself?

Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal blog and want to find out where you got this from or what the theme is named. Many thanks!

Also visit my webpage: quantrim reviews :: ::

Anonymous said...

I believe what you posted was actually very reasonable.
But, consider this, suppose you composed a catchier title?

I mean, I don't wish to tell you how to run your website, but what if you added something that makes people desire more? I mean "Come Outside & Breathe In, Relax Your Arms & Let Me In" is kinda boring. You should glance at Yahoo's front page and see how they
create post titles to get viewers interested. You might add a related video or a picture
or two to grab people interested about what you've got to say. Just my opinion, it would make your blog a little bit more interesting.

Feel free to visit my site: rc hobbies (sp2wiki.netzschreiberling.de)

Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a
blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.

I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Also visit my webpage: punch-core Aerators

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...