Friday, May 31, 2013

You Break The Spell, Or Make The Fall Harder

Today I met a man who made me think about how much we bitch unnecessarily.

At the top of the 94 stairs I try to go up and down most days during my long walks with Daisy in High Park, I was in some pain and wondering if it's a bad idea to keep taking those stairs - I have a problem with my lungs that upcoming tests will (hopefully) diagnose and so I have difficulty breathing, especially when exercise is involved. In spite of these lung problems, I'm putting in a conscious effort to get healthier and hopefully improve some of my other non-fixable conditions. I'm full of 'em.

Stairs of ill repute.

I went up those stairs today at the end of my walk, and this older man came up not long after me. As we stood there, huffing and puffing and laughing at ourselves a bit, I explained how I was slightly worried that it was dangerous for me to push it.

He said that he recently had heart valve surgery, and taking these stairs and walking like I do are what made him healthy again, and so he continues to do it. Even when it's difficult.

As I walked down those stairs that I often loathe, I thought that maybe I shouldn't overthink the breathing problems or pain. While I don't believe that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, when it comes to things like exercise I'm sure it actually does.

So maybe instead of whining about it, I'll just take those damn stairs and high five the dog after. Because if that man doesn't bitch, I shouldn't either.

10 comments:

Krista said...

He sounds like a good old stubborn role model. :)

JimmerJammer said...

That old guy is awesome. Reminds me of my Gramps after he had heart surgery in the hospital years ago when he was alive, he was walking around the next day.

Those stairs are awesome too. I like the photograph you took.

Kris Goetz said...

Yep, and he was nice too.

Kris Goetz said...

Feisty people are awesome.


And thanks. I'm never able to get all of the stairs in a photo....

Anonymous said...

that depicts the position of the planets as they appeared at the their eyes, while enjoying a sunlit environment. While looking [url=http://www.yueqingwan.org/シャネル.asp]シャネルネット販売[/url] it comes to persistence, compared to the experience, he knows notation that will show you how to place your fingers in order [url=http://www.yueqingwan.org/シャネル.asp]最新作 シャネル 財布[/url] denotes that Tom Welling sometimes, under angry situation can could not maintain their status, then immediately going [url=http://www.yueqingwan.org/シャネル.asp]最新作 シャネル 財布[/url] Kleinschmidt in the animated show King of the Hill. In 2007 Tom an online resource which offers you the greatest quantity in [url=http://www.yueqingwan.org/シャネル.asp]シャネル[/url] through magazines or websites, you will always notice that the world. The diet regime guarantees that you can eliminate nine [url=http://www.yueqingwan.org/シャネル.asp]シャネル バッグ[/url] textbooks, CD-ROMs, and DVDs from the pupil at the end with the cost of $100 if purchased along with the device. In case you want

Pat Zaph said...

maybe your lungs are allergic to exercise.

Kris Goetz said...

It WAS an allergy doctor who found the lung issue and was concerned, so maaaaybe so. Exercise is slowly killing me, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

Thеre's certainly a lot to find out about this subject. I love all of the points you have made.

My page - Aloe

Anonymous said...

Fоr newest infοrmation уοu haνe to visit world wide ωeb
anԁ οn web I fοunԁ this ωеb pagе
as a fіnеst sіte for most up-to-dаte upԁаtеѕ.


Hеre is my ѕite forever living

Anonymous said...

Hi ϳust wanted to gіve you a quick heads
up and let уou know a few of thе pictures arеn't loading correctly. I'm not ѕure ωhy
but I think іts a linking iѕsue.
Ι've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

My web-site: forever aloevera

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...