Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Am A Moth Who Just Wants To Share Your Light

Radiohead is one of my all-time favourite bands. When asked the most difficult question in the world - what 5 albums would you want with you when stranded on an island - I can definitively say that there would be some Radiohead involved (though I can never give a full response. How the hell do you pick only 5 albums?!).


I could easily put together the greatest Radiohead album ever by picking and choosing best songs from each album, because naming one my favourite is damn near impossible. It's a close race that includes OK Computer, Kid A, and The Bends, respectively -  but for this post's sake I think In Rainbows is the one that I feel closest to. (Notice I didn't say favourite?)

In Rainbows is almost like a friend that knows a lot about my life. Like it was there... and in fact, it was. I can throw on any random song from this album and tell you exactly who it reminds me of, what memory it takes me back to, and why it kinda plunges itself into my chest. I can't listen to the album without feeling a crazy array of emotions that would never make sense to anyone but me. And when a record can do that over and over, year after year, you've found something truly special. It holds meaning.

"Nude" was the first song from this album that I was hooked on. I listened to it constantly while driving around in my Protege when I still lived in St. Catharines (not unlike A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step, which I mentioned before). Then "All I Need", "House of Cards", "Videotape" and "Reckoner" made their way onto my obsession list. It's an album I can listen to endlessly, and still feel all the crazy feelings it brings. I don't seem to get sick of it; instead it becomes more important, more familiar. (The only thing that would make it at all improved for me would be if they added "Talk Show Host" to the song list. But that's reaching. I know this.)

So this is another album to add to the list of my favourites: Radiohead's In Rainbows.



And maybe it's just me, and maybe it's personal, but I can't watch this and not feel something.

Fantastic album.

3 comments:

Tristan Cuschieri said...

RHCP - Californication
Incubus - Make Yourself
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
STP - Thank You
Tool - Lateralus


My taste in music has broadened in my more recent years, but those are the first five that immediately come to mind when I think about this.

Kris Goetz said...

Nice! Interesting STP choice... my go-to from them will always be Purple. Which just might require a blog post.

Tristan Cuschieri said...

I chose Thank You because it actually has ALL my fav STP tracks on it - a rarity with GH albums. I nearly always find that I disagree with at least two or three of their choices, but not so with Thank You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...