Thursday, August 15, 2013

She's Walking Through The Clouds, With A Circus Mind That's Running 'Round

For the better part of this year, I've been doing my best to ensure that I celebrate the little wins. Y'know, those positive yet seemingly inconsequential things that often go unnoticed - the ones that are so small and insignificant that we tend to overlook them? Yeah. Those. Because I'll tell you this much, the little wins count. When all else fails, we need those to keep us sane.

This was all a big part of making myself a more positive chick, to get past some of my old negative bitchy ways. That kind of brain re-wiring takes work.

The dog is (usually) a win.
 Well, these past few weeks have appeared to be one bad luck event after another. Big things, little things, stupid things.... I fell apart a bit. Ok, a lot. It happens. And while everything has been going downhill, I've had a hard time finding any little wins to get me through. So I'm giving my head a shake and locating those tiny positive things among the mess.

For example, take the day I got a laundry list of bad news from my doctor - that was a difficult day. Little win: being sent to Montreal for Osheaga the very next day gave me an awesome distraction so I had no time to dwell.

And last week, when my guitar busted and I was upset because I love my guitar and I don't have another one yet?
Cue the tears.

Little win (make that a big win):  The Betty to my Veronica happened to have a guitar she didn't use, and didn't have room for - so it became the newest member of my family, and I am so happy for it.

Three parts to my live-in family. Daisy approved.

When things seem rough at work, it's difficult because it's my own business. But when that was happening recently, a lovely, thankful letter of gratitude from a client made it all seem a lot better. That was a little win.

See? They're there. Ya gotta look.

For me, because there is a lot going on in my personal life and it overwhelms me to the point that I can break down, my little wins are often very small. Things like a nice compliment, nailing a new song on the guitar, managing to avoid my terrible neighbours on the stairwell, and even something as stupid as a half-good hair day - those are my wins.

Sometimes you have to reach. And most days I do.

When it seems like everything and everyone is slapping you in the face, you do what you need to do to keep standing. Every win counts. Right now I'm working from my couch with my dog at my side. If that's not a win, I'm not sure what is.

What are your little wins? Think about it.




2 comments:

Tristan Cuschieri said...

When you're in dire need of a pick-me-up for the morning, and you see someone link that perfect song that lifts you right up.

Kris Goetz said...

Good cal! That's definitely true. You've done that a couple time yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...