Monday, September 9, 2013

All My Clouds Have A Silver Lining, From Which I'll Melt The Metal Down

As a music fan who hails from St. Catharines, I've had the pleasure of seeing a few local bands grow larger than life and become international household names. Bands that I used to see on the small stages, with members I went to school with or whose sisters were on my baseball team. You get the idea.


Moving to Toronto didn't change that. I still love seeing local musicians (whether from my hometown, or from Toronto and even Hamilton) putting out fantastic work, and maybe getting some recognition. I fully support local talent - always will. If you think it doesn't take a hell of a lot of work and dedication to be in a band, you're very wrong.

So in the spirit of supporting real talent, I present to you The Mandevilles.

As you may recall, I've posted about them before and more than a few of you let me know that you dig their sound. Well, if you're a fan, they need your help.

They recently recorded their latest album with GGGarth Richardson (who produced Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Mötley Crüe, etc), and they're working with PledgeMusic to make this album happen.

When you pledge them here, 10% of the money raised will go to the Light of Day Foundation - and you also get all sorts of fun stuff. But if they don't make it to 100% of their goal, they don't get any of it (and neither does the charity).

So at 75% with 7 days left, you guys can help amazing local talent bring us some more great tunes.



Supporting local music is a big reason that I work with bands and musicians via The MediaHaus - bringing a band to new audiences or giving them the tools to reach further is hugely rewarding, especially for a music fan like myself. One of the joys of self-employment right there.

So what about you, who is your favourite local band ("local" being relative, of course)?

3 comments:

Nathan Potts said...

So funny story about a not local band first. I'm at work today and my iPod shuffles to "I want to conquer the world" by Bad Religion and for the first time in ages I wonder I wonder what my Kristen is up to. One google search later and I end up here. Dig the blog. I look forward to reading more posts.
Now onto local bands that are rad. Way too many to pick just one, so you get two lists of three. Favorite all time and favorite current.

All Time
1. Keep It Up
2. The Sick Boys
3. The Rocket Reducers

Current
1. TV Freaks
2. The Lucky Ones
3. Mystics

I know TV Freaks and Mystics are considered Hamilton bands but they both have roots in niagara so I'm countin em.

Kris Goetz said...

Holy shit. Nathan, I kid you not, but you recently popped into my head & I wondered what YOU were up to. Just a couple of days ago. Haha, I'm almost freaked out here... it's been about a billion years!


So hey! How are ya?

Nathan Potts said...

Yeah, it really has been forever. I'm ok I guess. Still living in St Catharines. Still goin to as many punk shows as I can and still skatin whenever I get a chance. I got kids now though, so that takes up a lot of my time and resources.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...