Thursday, September 5, 2013

You Could Have It All, My Empire Of Dirt

The other day, the lovely Michelle brought something to my attention - and oh internet, you crazy.

It was a piece on Associated Press that read:

""NIN closed the night with a slow and smoky cover of Johnny Cash's 'Hurt,' which earned nonstop cheers from the crowd."

Sigh.

My new favourite - stolen from Stark.
So that got me thinking about covers, and I figured it was time to write another post about 'em. Mind you, my last cover song-related post was more about the terrible ones. This time I took to Facebook and Twitter to get your thoughts on the best covers that managed to stay as good, or better, than the originals.

Here are a few of your favourites (and some of mine, too):

Given my love for all things Chris Cornell, we'll start with this one - Chris Cornell covering Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean":



Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower", arguably (not that anyone can actually argue this) the better known version of the song:


One of my all-time favourite covers, Deftones' version of Sade's "No Ordinary Love". If you know me, you know this tune. I force it upon everyone:


This is Failure's cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence".

(And speaking of Failure, A Perfect Circle covers Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me" on one of my favourite albums, Thirteen Step. 6 degrees of music I like.):


Wayne Cochran's "Last Kiss" has been covered by a number of bands. Here's Pearl Jam's version:


I've always had a soft spot for Cat Power covering Phil Phillips' "Sea of Love". (And Tom Waits' version of the song as well, respectively.):


Of course, the one that started the whole discussion, Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt".

And no, it's not the other way around.


If I had hours upon hours and page upon page to fill with my favourite covers, this list would be fairly lengthy. I'd be remiss if I forgot some of the ones I grew up with from Motley Crue, Metallica, Ugly Kid Joe, and so on. But we haven't got all day. Not this time.

Which cover tunes would be on your list?

4 comments:

coco said...

Placebo's version of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill and The Chromatics doing Bruce Springsteen's I'm On Fire.

Kris Goetz said...

Yes! Forgot about Running Up That Hill. Good call.

Pat Zaph said...

You left out Tool covering No Quarter. There's no coming back from that.

Kris Goetz said...

I left out most songs, as I said. So I kept out some of the obvious ones. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...