Friday, October 18, 2013

In A State Of Mind I Could Call Mine, That Only I Could Own

To go along with my newfound need for new experiences, I'm adding "learning new things" to that list. Aside from boring work-related courses I plan to eventually take, I also want to learn fun things. Because there sure is a hell of a lot that I don't know (shhh, don't tell anyone).

As you all likely know, I'm a beer-lovin' and/or rye-drinkin' kinda chick. While I do drink wine more often than most people would assume, I have to admit - I know literally nothing about it. I know there's red. I know there's white. I know red can make me feisty, and white can make me happy.

That right there is the extent of my wine knowledge. Impressive, no?

So, when iYellow Wine Club asked if I wanted to check out a chardonnay class, I thought it would be a fun opportunity. So I brought along my sister, who actually knows about wine, and off we went to learn at the Ritz-Carlton.


I had been a bit worried that I'd come off seeming like an idiot, since I don't know the first thing about wine. Not even how to properly hold a wine glass, as you can see in the photo above.

I assumed most of the participants would be well-versed in all things wine, and I would be the one ignorant girl who had no idea what we were talking about.


Luckily, that was not the case. We tried a few different types of chardonnay and learned the difference between them all. I learned how to "paint" the glass with the wine to read its legs and gauge alcohol/sugar content. I learned about lees, oaking, and how oxygen colours the white wines. I also learned that I really like Southbrook wine (Southbrook, I'm comin' for ya).

Before this, I would've identified malolactic fermentation as "some form of coffee with milk, awesomely Irish'd up". But now? Now I know better. I'm learn-ed.

So there ya go. Learning can be fun - and the addition of alcohol and food can't hurt, either.

For more info, visit iyellowwineclub.com & get wined.


2 comments:

Tristan Cuschieri said...

Looks like fun! I'd love to take a wine class if I had someone to go with.

Kris Goetz said...

I'll let you know if I'm sent to any more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...