Friday, November 8, 2013

And If I Had One More Whiskey, Everything Would Have All Slipped Away

Earlier this week I had the chance to be a fly on the wall (ok, so it was a couch) at what can only be described as an intimate living room concert, featuring Hayden, Brendan Canning, and other talented artists. It was the soft launch of  Fat Fat Sounds, a "community based, high-resolution (no MP3 or CDs) not-for-profit record label".


Yes, I've seen Hayden a few times this year. But it's a pretty cool experience, as a fan, to watch a musician sit a couple of feet away from you and play to a small, quiet crowd. Plus two dogs, if we're getting technical.

It has a whole different feel, one I've always loved when it involved friends/boyfriends/random talented strangers playing similarly in my living room or someone else's.


Thanks to Rasam (my music-fan +1 for the evening) for taking some photos & letting me steal them all.

My knee is the unknowing co-star of these pictures.



Brendan Canning played a couple of songs off of his new solo album, You Gots 2 Chill.

Like Hayden, I've seen Brendan perform a few times this year as well - with Broken Social Scene at Field Trip, with Edwin Huizenga at The Wooden Sky show, and then here. There's really nothing better than seeing a musician play very different types of shows and venues. It adds even more depth.


Rasam's panoramic shot of the crowd and Noah Mintz as he played a tune to end the night.

(It also made me wonder why I never got my sister's old hHead shirt when I took custody of her band tshirt collection... hmm, sister?)


And so, the living room show was over.

Back to my usual living room concerts, which look something like this:



Definitely not the rapt audience I would hope for, nor the talented musician anyone would actually want to hear.

But c'est la vie. Something to work toward, perhaps.Because living room shows are pretty darn rad.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...