Friday, January 24, 2014

The Talent of Time, That Thief That Delays, We'll Come Back Tomorrow & Tear Down Your Ways

It's been a long time since I've indulged in one of my over-worded rants. I could be getting soft and sentimental in my old age, I suppose. But something happened the other day, and it's a regular occurrence that brings out my bitchy confrontational side - so if you're someone guilty of this, consider yourself warned.

Swanson-isms always work for me.

I was headed north up Roncy on the 504 King streetcar a few mornings ago. It was about 9am, it was cold, and people were cranky. It happens.

A woman came on with her toddler in a stroller. She was very polite, excused herself as she strolled by and thanked those who moved for her. And her little one? Super cute. Chubby and curly-headed, squirming in the seat.

Now as I said, it's around 9am. So it was packed. Standing room only. A nice man gave the woman his seat, and I stood nearby. Then as kids do, her son began to scream. Not a lot, by any means - because we all know kids can really scream if they want to. Just some slight squealing.

And then the looks started.

Being the nutbar observer that I am, after I smiled in sympathy toward the woman, I saw no less than 5 other passengers give her the absolute worst evil eye you can imagine. Death stares and muttering under their breath directed solely at her. The mother was doing her best to make her child quiet down, and the bitchy stares just worsened. And this pissed me right off.

Even Zoidberg thinks you're a dick.
While I fully understand that not everyone has the nurturing parental gene, the part of some people that makes us want children & drives us to care for them, there is still such a thing as regular ol' compassion. What exactly do these people expect her to do? Shove a sock in her toddler's mouth? Smack him in the head and tell him to shut the hell up? Or should she have stayed home, just because a couple of cries from her child might briefly annoy a few assholes on a crowded public transit car?

I think it should be the opposite - if you can't handle a few minutes of noise from a kid who doesn't know any better, and if you can't show respect to a mother who is obviously doing her very best (and has much more on her plate than to worry about you), then maybe you should stay home. Because you're an idiot, and you've obviously overlooked the "public" part of public transit.

To all the moms out there, I offer you all the respect in the world. Being a parent is hard work, so kudos to all of you for taking on that massive job - especially when things get rough in public. Because in case the judgy jerks on the TTC have forgotten... we were all children once. We all screamed, we all squealed, and we all made our parents' lives extremely hard at times.

Wonder how these people would feel about their own mothers being treated poorly for just "being a mom".
It's worth a thought.

4 comments:

Christella said...

A-FUCKING-MEN! Thank you!

I road a post about this a few months back which basically incited a pathetic social media flame-war with a bunch of self-entitled asshole hipsters.

See here: http://crawltheline.com/2013/07/22/the-great-divide-parents-vs-non-parents/

Thanks again for pointing out the flaw in their demented-as-fuck logic. :)

Kris Goetz said...

Awesome post. And though I don't yet have kids, I guess I'd technically be on the Parent side of that.

People can be such selfish dicks. And it's never more apparent than on the TTC (or online). :)

Vanessa said...

You nailed it. I feel so bad for parents when their kids start acting up on public transit. Not only do they have to try to quiet their child, but they get stuck enduring the nasty looks from their fellow commuters as well, making the whole situation just that much more stressful. Being a parent looks tough; I doubt they need a giant helping of disdain loaded on their already full plates.

The kid probably doesn't know any better, but those nasty, judgmental people damn well should.

Kris Goetz said...

Agreed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...