Thursday, May 14, 2015

I Left The Lights On So You Stumble In Devotion

A couple of Fridays ago, I went to see The Vagina Monologues for the first time. We were celebrating my Leah's day of birth - a group of women in an audience filled with women. And three men.

It was funny, sad, interesting... all the things you'd likely expect. And as I sat there I kept thinking, "all men should see this". It would be so informative, and even enlightening to any man who cares enough to better understand women. Let's be honest, if The Penis Monologues existed the audience would be full of women, because most of us wanna know things.

Nah, we want to know everything.

May we buy them beer. And sandwiches.
Everyone is so up in arms right now about the changing sex-ed curriculum, but the truth is that a staggering number of people (yes, even adults) don't know important facts about our own bodies and sexuality that should be common knowledge. When I was in school, sex-ed was a joke. Beyond the general "sperm fertilizes the egg", "this is how you spell fallopian" info, we learned nothing to prepare us. From what I've heard, that curriculum is still the same. Yikes. I say bring on the change, & give kids some useful knowledge in a safe space.

But back to my original point - The Vagina Monologues. Right. In the interest of knowledge being power, and acceptance and understanding being pretty damn important (especially these days), it probably isn't a bad start for us all to be open to learning more. And I think that, for men, seeing The Vagina Monologues would be a pretty educational experience. It would likely be the same for a lot of women, as well.

If you're in Niagara and want to check out the same show I saw, they've got only one more showing this Saturday at Corks in Niagara-on-the-Lake, presented by Something Something Productions. Part of each ticket price goes to Women's Place, so you'd be doing some good. (No, this is not a sponsored post - just a friendly, if slightly aggressive, suggestion.)

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start collecting stories for The Vagina Monologues Two: 2 Breast, 2 Furious.


2 comments:

ghost said...

I think, unfortunately, parents don't want us to teach their teens about sex other than the current outdated curriculum.

Kris Goetz said...

As a teacher, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...