Tuesday, June 23, 2015

But In A Strange Way, I Know Somehow We're Doomed

Most people are well-aware of my love for all things Chino Moreno. Ever since the mid-nineties, I've had a borderline (and sometimes not-so-borderline) obsession with the Deftones frontman. In recent years I've calmed down a bit with the Chino-craziness, but I'm still fairly biased and tend to fangirl for whatever he does, even before I've heard it.

While Deftones has always been his main gig, there have been a few other projects over the years. Team Sleep, Palms, etc. They never outshone the Deftones for me, I've mostly been a relatively peripheral fan.

But of them all, Crosses has quickly become my favourite.


Crosses - also known as ††† - has Chino partnering up with Far guitarist Shaun Lopez and Chuck Doom. While it's easy to compare any project Chino does vocals on to Deftones, Crosses are more chilled out and melodic, with ambient and electronic touches. (Or,  to put it simply - they're not the Deftones, and they're still frickin' amazing.)

They first released one song, The Epilogue, back in 2013. That was enough to get me hooked, and the full-length self-titled album does not disappoint. For me, the stand out songs are The Epilogue, Bitches Brew, Telepathy, & This is a Trick, respectively. But the entire album is fantastic, and will have you awkwardly chair-dancing and grooving like an idiot. That, to me, is often the mark of a good band - they pass the chair-dance test.

Even if you're not a Deftones/Chino Moreno fan in general, I still highly recommend giving this album a listen.

It's been an addictive one.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...