Monday, August 10, 2015

Brace For The Glory As You Stare Into The Sky

Though I've intended to be in Toronto regularly, it's been awhile since I got back - things get in the way. It happens. But recently I managed to carve out three days to spend in my other home, the city I'll never refer to as "the 6".

My main reason? Deftones. Cue your surprised faces. Fake 'em, if you have to.


Yes, Deftones. The subject of many a blog post on here, due to my big love for them.

They were playing Edgefest (Edgefest 2, to be exact), along with Incubus. I've loved Incubus since I was a wee little brat, and have never seen them live before. So, Deftones + Incubus = a show I must attend. And attend I did.


I hadn't been to Echo Beach before (the song just became your earworm, for those of you old enough to know it), but it's a pretty cool venue.

Weird to be standing on sand during a rock and/or roll show, but I do appreciate being exfoliated while I fangirl.


We all know how terrible my concert photos are, but bear with me as I attack you all with roughly 8.2 trillion pics of Chino singing and dancing in his Morrissey shirt.

Ok, 8.3 trillion.



Look, it's Stef! Not a Chino photo.

I have evolved as a human person.

You never know who you may run into at any given concert - Hi Meli!



And back to Chino. Sorry. (I'm not really sorry.)


This one's different, he's playing guitar!

My photos are vast and varied. Complex, even.


And then this happened.

Anthony, who you may remember as A Book for Wanderers, managed to get invited up on stage to sing Maynard's parts on Passenger. It took me a minute to figure out it was him, and I'll probably have to slightly hate him out of jealousy for the rest of my life.



Lucky bastard.


 Look, a sunset!


Aaaand Incubus.

I may or may not have had a bet going to see how many songs Brandon Boyd could last without taking his shirt off. I guessed three.


As you can see, I was only partially right by the third song.



But eventually he thought, "Waitaminute now, I'm allergic to shirts! Be gone, vile button-up!".

And so the shirt was gone.


I will say, shirt or no shirt, snowsuit or no snowsuit, the man is beautiful.

It's almost painful how pretty he is.


They were amazing. The only tiny, small, miniscule item I take issue with is that they didn't play enough of the older stuff. Not much from "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.", or "Fungus Amongus".

But that's really just my age showing. Kids these days aren't into those tunes, they weren't born when the albums came out. Darn kids, ruining this old broad's night out from the seniors home.


Overall - kickass bands, kickass sets, a kickass night.

Made me want to follow them for the rest of their tour.


Afterwards, it was to the ol' village for a drink with Bob, who some of you may remember from past posts. Y'know, back when I used to post often. Or at all.

(I apologize to everyone else I saw during my visit, I took no photos of you. Only those in my brain.)


And the next day, I did some solo stuff.



I attempted to hang out on this balcony, but it's ten stories up (or technically 20?), and I'm afraid of heights. Hence the face.

I lasted 3 minutes.


Then I streetcar'd across the city to wander around my favourite place in all of Toronto - High Park.

I can't even express how much I miss living across the street from it, and spending time every day here. I love the crap out of it. There's nowhere better.


These guys, the Barbary Sheep, look a lot like Daisy when they're first born. She used to stand there and they'd stare at each other for awhile, confused. Fun to watch.

I can tell you're overwhelmed by the excitement.


I used to take work breaks and sit on this hill for awhile.

It would've been pretty relaxing that day as usual, if not for the couple behind me, making out furiously as though they just found out they were both going to die tomorrow.

I asked if they understood the mechanics involved in conceiving a baby, but they didn't answer. They were busy.


Sitting. Thinkin' 'bout pizza.


And then it was back to Niagara to squish my little pigdog. I missed her.

While I did manage to see a bunch of people during this visit, I hope to see more of you next time. Yes, that means you. (Probably.)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...