Thursday, November 3, 2016

Drag Me Far Enough To Know I'm Blind Every Mile That You Burn

For all the endless posts on here about bands, albums, music docs, and musician biographies, it's a bit surprising that I've never ventured into soundtrack territory. Soundtracks tend to fall a bit under the radar for me - I have a solid few that are favourites, and don't pay too much attention to any others. So, for the sake of sharing (because apparently it's caring, or so the rumour goes), I thought I'd finally throw my brief list out there.

Y'know I love a good list.

Here are a few notable soundtracks that have long been favourites of mine.

Singles



Surely no one is surprised that I love this movie and soundtrack. There's just so much to love about both. First of all, the movie has Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden actually in it. And Matt Dillon's character has a band called Citizen Dick that includes Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, and Jeff Ament.

The whole movie is like a prime grunge-era Melrose Place, except awesome and with better people involved. And bands. Gotta include the bands.

From the movie set. This was my Facebook cover photo for a long time, unsurprisingly.
Now, the soundtrack. A movie that is this focused on specific music is going to have a great soundtrack. And it remains one that I listen to regularly. Where to start? First, you've got "Nearly Lost You" by Screaming Trees which is a song I often obsess over. Next, you have Pearl Jam's "State of Love and Trust" which, in my opinion, is of one of their best ever. Add to that some Alice in Chains, Soundgarden/Chris Cornell, Mother Love Bone, and Hendrix?

Yeah. You've got a winner.



 

Into the Wild


This one is a little different, yet connected to the first - this entire album consists of songs by Eddie Vedder, made strictly for the movie.  It's pretty folky, very mellow, and yet... I can't quite describe it, but it's always been an emotional album for me.

The songs are all short but impactful, and I can't listen to it without going through a wide range of emotions. It may not be for everyone, but I recommend giving it a few listens before coming to any conclusions. It can sneak up on you.




Dazed & Confused


I haven't watched it in a long time, but this used to be one of my favourite movies. I'm sure it still would be, in some ways. There are technically two soundtracks to this movie, but I'm strictly speaking about the first one.

I always thought I should've been a teenager in the 70's, and the music is the main reason for that. This soundtrack is all 70's rock, so it goes without saying that it's always been a favourite. A few key tunes for me: ZZ Top's "Tush", Deep Purple's "Highway Star", The Runaways' "Cherry Bomb", and Sweet's "Fox on the Run". Unfortunately Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion", from the movie's opening sequence, did not make the cut on the soundtrack. Too bad.




Spawn



I've never seen this movie. So I can't say much about it. But I do own the soundtrack, and it's a good one. Each song is a different collaboration by two different artists, whether a remix of a current song or an entirely new one.  Here's a short list of some of them:

"One Man Army" - Prodigy and Tom Morello
"No Remorse (I Wanna Die) - Slayer and Atari Teenaage Riot
"(Can't You) Trip Like I Do" - Filter and The Crystal Method
"For Whom the Bell Tolls (The Irony of it All)" - Metallica and DJ Spooky

But for me, the most important song on this soundtrack is "Familiar" by Incubus with DJ Greyboy. I've loved this song since I first heard it, and it remains one of my favourite Incubus songs.




The Crow



Ah, Brandon Lee. I loved this movie. I'm due for a re-watch.

As it's a dark movie, the soundtrack is just what you'd expect. Right up this Shambled Rambler's alley. Nine Inch Nails, Pantera, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Rollins Band, etc. And a song I dig a lot, The Cure's "Burn."




In the interest of not posting a drawn-out endless list, I've left a few soundtracks out.  And for the record, it's not lost on me that most of these movies are from the 90's. Yeah, I'm a predictable chick.

So what's on your list?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...